Salmon fillets v steaks

Started by Dalby Spook, December 14, 2006, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi All
I've noticed that most of the pics of smoked salmon show it cut into steaks. This side of the pond traditionally whole 'sides' or fillets are hung vertically in the smoker. Am I correct in thinking that you guys over there catch salmon so big they would'nt fit in the bs any other way. Or is it tradition?

I ask this because I'm doing my first salmon next week ( 8lb atlantic, 80%  brine @ 1 hour. Smoke till  18% weight loss achieved.) and wondered if there was any consensus.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

LilSmoker

Hi Dalby, are you gonna cold smoke the salmon, or hot smoke?

I have cold smoked salmon a few times now in the BS with good results, i use the cardboard box chamber set up, and also put ice in the bottom of the cabinet.

I think the reason most of the guys here use steaks as opposed to whole fillets, is because the majority hot smoke the salmon, so steaks are more manageable.
I'm gonna do my next cold smoked salmon as fillets, as i want to get the big slices that are more traditional in the U.K.

I must say though that i have done both Kummok and TomG's recipes for hot smoked salmon and they really are delicious!

Anyway good luck with the salmon, regards..........LilSmoker ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

TomG

Quote from: Dalby Spook on December 14, 2006, 08:37:53 AM
I've noticed that most of the pics of smoked salmon show it cut into steaks.

Hi Spooky,  I can't speak for Kummock, but I think most of us on the West Coast, start with whole fish, fillet and then cross cut the fillets into manageable pieces.  You could get the same pieces by steaking the fish and then cutting the meat from the bone(cartilage), but it would be an extra step.  Salmon steaks in my "hood" are grilled not smoked. 8)

iceman

Quote from: TomG on December 14, 2006, 06:44:16 PM
Quote from: Dalby Spook on December 14, 2006, 08:37:53 AM
I've noticed that most of the pics of smoked salmon show it cut into steaks.

Hi Spooky,  I can't speak for Kummock, but I think most of us on the West Coast, start with whole fish, fillet and then cross cut the fillets into manageable pieces.  You could get the same pieces by steaking the fish and then cutting the meat from the bone(cartilage), but it would be an extra step.  Salmon steaks in my "hood" are grilled not smoked. 8)
I think you just spoke for me and Kummock and a few others. Do it the easy way I say as far as preping it for the brine.. ;)

Kummok

Both TomG and Iceman spook well for me, Spook! I do exactly what they said with every King, Red, and Silver, regardless of size. It would indeed be impossible to hang a whole side (I call 'em "slabs") of a average sized King in my original sized Bradley, but I personnally wouldn't do it anyway. Although it makes for a gorgeous "presentation", it provides for only about half of the "surface glaze" that tastes so doggone great.

ALthough I start my processing as TG and Ice do, I also ALWAYS take the steaks a bit further than some might.....after filleting but before cross-cutting into steaks, I pull all the pin bones, then cut into steaks, then remove the skin and any "grey" meat. On the larger Kings, I further cut the steaks into two pieces. These pieces are then grouped into 1 lb portions, vac-sealed and frozen. These packaged steaks are used for grilling as they are, cubed for blackening, or sliced into "thumbsize" pieces for smoking. All the steaks are pretty much useless for anything but smoking after one year in the freezer (IF they make it that long!).