Winter Smoking

Started by Infalable, December 14, 2006, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infalable

Greetings all,

I will be purchasing my fist smoker. I thought about the stainless but after reading other's comments I will purchase the original. Hopefully by new year. I live near Chicago, so winters tend to get cold (fortunately not as cold as Minn or north of the border). How many of you smoke in the colder temps (40 degrees or colder). I grill in the cold, but dont know if smoking is appropriate with this unit. Your answers may dictate if I buy soon or wait until March. Thanks all.

Habanero Smoker

I have used my smoker when it was in the mid-twenties, and have had good results, and I know that others on this forum have smoked in lower temperature then that. You will need to plan for extra time, because the times for preheating, and recovery are much longer. Once the smoker is up to your set temperature it will remain steady. Your main problem is going to be the wind. Wind will greatly effect the cabinet temperature, keeping it down. If you can protect the smoker from the wind, you shouldn't have any problems.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smudge

Bradley is a Canadian company, hey. Wintertime smoking is a reality. If any smoker is going to work, this one will. And it does, I've smoked in January up here in Minnesota.

Wind is a factor any time of year. I've had the temperature stall on me mid-summer because of pesky breezes.

Not sure if you've thought about where you'll store your BS when not in use, but keep the smoke generator indoors for continued trouble-free service. 

Infalable

Ok. That settles it. I will not wait until March. I am not sure that I can store it indoors. I was planning on covering it with a waterproof tarp when not in use. Is that a concern? Thx.

PetersCreek

I've smoked with my OBS with ambient temps hanging right around 0°F.  When the wind became a problem one night, I made a jacket for it.  I had some extra garage door insulation laying around...the silver-mylar-kinda-looks-like-enclosed-bubble-wrap variety...and taped together a sleeve to slip over it.  I rarely need it but it works like a champ.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

iceman

Welcome Infalable;
Folks have pretty much said it all. I smoke at 0 - 5 all the time up here just like PetersCreek with no problem. Don't wait on your purchase or you'll be missing out on some great food. :P ;D

Smudge

Quote from: Infalable on December 15, 2006, 10:29:16 AM
Ok. That settles it. I will not wait until March. I am not sure that I can store it indoors. I was planning on covering it with a waterproof tarp when not in use. Is that a concern? Thx.

No problem for the box. Consider buying a custom Bradley cover, they look sharp stored outdoors.

But the smoke generator needs more protection than a cover provides from the elements. Hopefully you can find a spot somewhere inside...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Infalable on December 15, 2006, 10:29:16 AM
I've been storing mine outdoors for over two years with just the Bradley cover, and haven't had a weather related problem. You can add extra protection for the generator, but I haven't found that necessary. Just make sure you placed the cover on properly, and pull the drawstring snug.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

PetersCreek

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 15, 2006, 01:47:56 PM
I've been storing mine outdoors for over two years with just the Bradley cover, and haven't had a weather related problem.

Ditto here on zero problems so far.  Mine sits on the deck with the spiffy cover and even though I have to occasionally shovel snow away from it, it seems to be holding up just fine.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Infalable

I don't even have the thing yet and I am craving brisket. I live near a Sam's club that has good meat here. Do any of you buy from there or do most folks go to the nearest butcher to get the best meats. Thanks all. I love this site.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Infalable on December 15, 2006, 09:34:10 PM
I don't even have the thing yet and I am craving brisket. I live near a Sam's club that has good meat here. Do any of you buy from there or do most folks go to the nearest butcher to get the best meats. Thanks all. I love this site.

I often use Sam's for my brisket, pork loins, and butt. The quality of the meat is good. They generally have those cuts on hand, and often have the lowest price. Occasionally I will find those same cuts at a super market chain for a lower price. For fresh ham, and picnic cuts I seem to only get those from Shop & Stop. They always have them on display, and at a inexpensive price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kummok

Don't know the wind situation where you're planning to store your Bradley, Infallable, but if you use the really cool Bradley cover in a windy area, I'd recommend a "girdle" of bungee cord to keep it from becoming your neighbor's new cover. It gets pretty windy up here on the hill in Homer whenever we get a barometric change and the drawstring alone doesn't hold the cover on in a 40-60 knot wind! :o

Infalable

Will do. The wind swirls on my deck. I have my grill tied down for that reason. I will be using my weber as a windblock when smoking if necessary.

Buck36

I have smoked quite a bit in the winter without any problems. The winter temps make it difficult to do much outside and it is more fun to tweak my smoking skills. Pulled pork and ribs reminds me of summer too!