Virgin Brisket ISO TLC in BS

Started by ceeuawlsune, November 29, 2006, 10:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Yah, the one time you can rub the but all you want and won't get slapped.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: ceeuawlsune on December 04, 2006, 09:22:23 PM
I must admit, simply washing, drying & rubbing that butt has gotten me all excited about the prospects of tomorrow.  I just have to figure out my timing...and why I'm not in bed yet!

Checking here tomorrow just to see what Chez Bubba does with this one.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

pipsqueek

I just did my first brisket also, a cross between Montreal smoked meat and pastrami.

I first dry cured 5lbs of brisket for a week using a rub of Morton Tenderquick and sugar and a rub of Montreal smoked meat spices (1/2 of the recipe used on first rub)

Soak meat after curing for 3 hours replacing water every hour.

Dry

Rub meat with remaining mix and marinade for 2 days.

Cold smoke for 4 hours , I used the special blend pucks I got in a mixed box I had ordered, couldn't think of anything else to use them for.

I then cooked overnight for 12 hours in the oven at 200 deg F after spritzing with a pear wine I had made. There is quite a lot of fat extracted during this phase so use a deep enough pan covered in foil to stop it drying out, place on a rack in the pan.

In the morning I FTC'd the meat in the switched off oven, ie I actually FT'd the meat.

Got home from work to magnificently tender meat.

Montreal Smoked Meat Rub Recipe

2 teaspoons peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon celery seeds
2 allspice berries
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon Dill seed
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. Over medium heat, toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds mustard seeds, allspice berries, celery seeds in a small sauté pan or cast iron frying pan until fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Grind spices coarsely in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder; combine with the remaining ingredients.

Habanero Smoker

I love Montreal Smoked meat. I haven't made any in a while, and just may use your recipe. My recipe requires you to wrap the brisket in bacon prior to smoking, but using TQ I can skip that step. The TQ will impart the same flavor.

When I first wanted to make it I found it difficult to find the recipe on line. The legend of Montreal Smoked meat is wrapped in mystery and the actual recipe is suppose to be secret. Is there any truth to that?

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pipsqueek

You are correct, they are closly guarded secrets. Schwartz in Montreal make the best smoked meat and they are packed out with diners every day so there is good money involved in a good recipe.

I used your recipe with the addition of Dill seed that I had seen in another recipe.

Montreal smoked meat is cured like pastrami hence the Tenderquick.

Habanero Smoker

I definately will need to try your recipe. Another project on a long and growing list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 12, 2006, 03:25:08 PM
Another project on a long and growing list.
Thank goodness some one else has the "Growing List" syndrome besides myself.
So much to smoke, so little time. :D ;D ;)

ceeuawlsune

The pork came out, the lamb went in, tomorrow the chicken goes in, then the pork again...this is getting expensive!!!  and my 24-hour smoking cycles aren't leaving much time for sleep! 

SmokyJones

I couldn't agree more with the ever-growing list of things to smoke.  I am experiencing this delimma now.  There are really only two days a week that I can do anything with the BS and about 15 different recipes on the list.  I'll guess I'll have to deal with it.  By the way...how does the lamb taste?  What kind of wood do you use with lamb?

iceman

I think if things keep up the medical profession will see a new health issue come up. It's called "THE BRADLEY SYNDROME". To much to smoke and to little time thus creating lack of sleep and irritability during the week at work. Next thing you know FDA will require warning stickers on each unit.
CAUTION THIS MACHINE MAY CAUSE LACK OF SLEEP, NUMEROUS TRIPS TO THE BUTCHER SHOP,OVER CONSUMPTION OF ADULT BEVERAGE, AND OVER EATING. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!  :D ;)
I can see the headlines now; Bradley Smokers, The Rest of The Story. :D

Wildcat

Don't forget overeating resulting in obesity.  It is hard not to overindulge after smelling it all day.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Quote from: Wildcat on December 13, 2006, 02:04:42 PM
Don't forget overeating resulting in obesity.  It is hard not to overindulge after smelling it all day.
Thanks for reminding me Wildcat. I added it in. ;D

manxman

QuoteIt is hard not to overindulge after smelling it all day.

Very true!!  ;)
Manxman