Hello all ong time smoker/reader new poster

Started by huntsalot, December 17, 2006, 01:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntsalot

Hello I just went from a 4 rack  Original Bradley Smoker to a new digital 6 rack. Its ok but sill like my  Original Bradley Smoker. But I want to know if you can PDI a new Digital 6 rack. Thank you all for all of your input in all the threads.

owrstrich

pdi...

hold on...

i aint got no pdi...

but i got a pid...

look here...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4476.msg38891#new

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Biggs

Hi,

I am also new to the forum which has been a great source of information.

Pretty dissapointed with the temp swings on my 6 rack digital.

I was wondering if there are differences that might prohibit a PID to used on the new digital units?

I was going with the following:

Thermocouple - Omega #TJ96-CASS-316U-3-SB-SMPW-M
Mini Panel Jack - Omega #RMJ-K-R
Auber PID (SSR Output )
Auber 25A SSR
Radio Shack project Box
6 position Terminal Strip
10 Ft heavy duty power cord
Heat sink

Thanks
Biggs

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Biggs on December 18, 2006, 11:43:27 AM
I was wondering if there are differences that might prohibit a PID to used on the new digital units?

Biggs,

You will have two interacting control systems unless you fake out the digital BS control system. You can probably do that by asking for the highest temperature you can, so the DBS is full on, then use your PID setup to regulate down.

Arcs_n_Spark

Biggs

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping to plug the PID's female end into the smoker (unplugging the existing cord going back to the smoker generator) and the male end into a wall outlet for AC power. I plan on adding a fuse into the PID.

I would only use the Smoker Generator for burning pucks and not to control the heating element.

I have a feeling I might be missing something?

Biggs

Mr Walleye

Biggs

I think your onto something. The smoke generator will run without the power plug going to the main box but it will not run without the temp probe being pluged in, so there is no reason the PID should not be able to control the heating element in the box on it's own, while being powered from a separate source.

It would be interesting if someone with a PID could test this on someones DBS.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

owrstrich

would someone please test this out... this thread has been up for 10 days for christ sake... what the he11 is going on around here anyway... who the he11 is in charge of this mess... now get this sh1t figured out straight away...

dont make me be the badd guy here... just the answers and how toos... now for christ sake... or heads will roll...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Arcs_n_Sparks

o:

Since I don't have a DBS, I don't know how it is all wired up. Otherwise my E.E. advice would have been more definitive.

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Looks like open wheel needs more beef jerky. 

I have a digital and have also been disappointed in the temp swings until I decided that for the purposes of putting smoke on a product for 4 hours or less, the variation was not significant enough to warrent the project box.  After the smoke, I retire the process to my oven where I have pure convection, temp probe control, and temp swings less than 2 degrees.  (I think it makes the wife happy her big dollar investment on the oven didn't go to waste.)

I have done cold smoking with out the use of the oven heater by removing the smoke generator and connecting the small cord (replace with a longer one from Radio Shack parts) back to the box for the temperature sensor.  I would agree that using a PID without using the smoke gen oven temp control or power from the generator would work just fine.

If anyone needs a test case, I wouldn't hesitate to try it on my system.  Just don't have the time to procure and manufacture.  :(

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Biggs, AnS, nothing obvious between the wall outlet and the heat bulb except the control box in the smoke generator (not familiar and not looked up all the components) but knowingly incompetent in this regard. From watching DBS work and what it does to not work the smoke generator is happy with the power cord to the tower unplugged. 

No reason to mess with the small cord to the thermister so blinking lights and temp displays and puck plate will still operate (fun to watch given adult beverage in significant quanity).

I like Gizmo's offer to try one - just cuz it would be HIS house to experiment with... there is something in the unit that whacks out now and again and burns off the wires to the fuse holder and does not always open the fuse.  May or may not be related to anything the PID would interact with.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Congrats West Coast on the full member status.   :D :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Biggs

I am going to build a PID and test it with my 6 rack DBS.

I will let you know how it works shorlty.

Biggs

Mr Walleye

Excellent Biggs!

I'm ready to "Bite" too!  ;D

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

TomG

Hi Biggs,

Quote from: Biggs on December 27, 2006, 08:42:16 AM
I was hoping to plug the PID's female end into the smoker (unplugging the existing cord going back to the smoker generator) and the male end into a wall outlet for AC power.

If the PID is the only controller between the oven's heating element and your power source, the system should work. 

I plan on adding a fuse into the PID.

Good idea.  The OBS has two components mounted in the back wall of the oven.

One is the often maligned temp limit switch, which is probably bi-metallic, opens at 325* and automatically resets at 200*.  The other component(white tube in picture) is an in line, fixed 10 amp fuse, that BS installed in case a user decided to use the oven in a stand alone mode without the generator and its 8 amp AGC fuse.  If the 10 amper blows you'll have to remove the rear panel and replace it with another fuse from BS.  My suggestion would be to install an 8 amp AGC in the back of your oven. 

I would only use the Smoker Generator for burning pucks and not to control the heating element.

Another good idea, saves wear and tear on the generator.

I have a feeling I might be missing something?

Yeppers, what you'll be missing is heat.  The 500 watt heating element plus the 125 watt generator pad is marginal at best in the OBS.  The heating element alone in the larger 6 rack DBS, unless BS has improved insulation, will be inadequate.

Hope that helps-Tom