Temperature plateau for sausage?

Started by rbentle2, September 23, 2007, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbentle2

Today I smoked 10lbs of Elk summer sausage for a friend of mine. Followed the directions for smoker temps on the box from the kit (B&P Venison Summer Sausage kit), 1hr@110, 1hr@130, 1hr@150, then up to 170 until IT hits 152.  After nearly 10 hours, the IT had only hit 132, in a 167 smoker. It plateaued around the 130 mark for nearly 3 hours before creeping up to 132. I finally finished the sausages in a 170 waterbath as it's getting late.

Is this normal? I know this happens with pork butts, briskets, etc. , but was wondering about sausages. The sausages are 1.5"x16". How long does it take the rest of you to smoke summer sausage?
Bob

Arcs_n_Sparks

rbentle2,

Doesn't sound right. I've nevered experienced any plateau with sausage.

Arcs_n_Sparks

NePaSmoKer

When i do SS i let them sit at room temp for 2.5 hrs. Then i hang in smoker  (pre heated) @160* with smoke for 1 hr 40 mins (5 pucks) Bump the heat to 175* for 3 hrs no smoke. Then i add another 1 hr of pucks (3) @185*. Another 1 hr @200* no smoke. By this time the internal of the SS is @178* and done. I only do 3 SS at a time. This method works for me.

SS= Summer Sausage And use my BBQ GURU/RAPTOR to maintain the heat  ;D

nepas

rbentle2

Thinking a possible problem with my Maverick temp probe, i double checked with a instant read thermometer. I checked it in a couple of different spots and both read about the same, in the 130 range. I agree, something doesnt' seem right. The sausages are blooming right now and we'll see how they turned out tomorrow.
Bob

rbentle2

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 23, 2007, 06:31:35 PM
When i do SS i let them sit at room temp for 2.5 hrs. Then i hang in smoker  (pre heated) @160* with smoke for 1 hr 40 mins (5 pucks) Bump the heat to 175* for 3 hrs no smoke. Then i add another 1 hr of pucks (3) @185*. Another 1 hr @200* no smoke. By this time the internal of the SS is @178* and done. I only do 3 SS at a time. This method works for me.

nepas

Nepas, doesn't the higher temps render out the fat and dry out the SS? Everything I've read says to stay below 170* so the fat doesn't render out, so that's what I tried to do.
Bob

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: rbentle2 on September 23, 2007, 07:47:14 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 23, 2007, 06:31:35 PM

nepas

Nepas, doesn't the higher temps render out the fat and dry out the SS? Everything I've read says to stay below 170* so the fat doesn't render out, so that's what I tried to do.

I use a sausage binder.

SAUSAGE BINDER: Also known as Soy, Soy Protein, Soy Flour and other brand names. This ingredient is used to prevent weight loss and shrinkage to products being processed in the smokehouse, by helping to retain the natural juices (moisture) in the meat. This product also helps to bind the sausage together and can be used in meat products such as burgers to retain the natural juices from cooking out.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

That is definitely too long for sausage. I use similar temperature that you use. I start with 110°F - 120°F for 30 minutes to an hour to dry, apply smoke at 140°F, then finish at 170°F (occasionally 180°F) until an internal temperature of 152°F is reached.

Are you sure that your cabinet temperatures were accurate? I know your meat probe was functioning correctly, but your smoker probe may be malfunctioning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rbentle2

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2007, 03:16:18 AM

That is definitely too long for sausage. I use similar temperature that you use. I start with 110°F - 120°F for 30 minutes to an hour to dry, apply smoke at 140°F, then finish at 170°F (occasionally 180°F) until an internal temperature of 152°F is reached.

Are you sure that your cabinet temperatures were accurate? I know your meat probe was functioning correctly, but your smoker probe may be malfunctioning.

I think so. Until I started checking the temps of the sausages, I used the other probe on the Maverick to check the temp at the vent. There was about a 4-5 deg difference from middle to top. I only used the top three racks and had the smoker probe on the under side of the third rack down.
Bob

rbentle2

I just got back from delivering the sausage to my friend. We cut one into rounds to sample. Everything appears to be good. Still moist inside, definitely not overdone as I feared. Still find it strange.

How long will summer sausage stay good for in the fridge? Weeks? Months? My friend would like to take some on our snowmobile trip, but that's not until January. Should he vacuum seal and freeze to keep it that long?
Bob

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: rbentle2 on September 24, 2007, 03:06:05 PM
I just got back from delivering the sausage to my friend. We cut one into rounds to sample. Everything appears to be good. Still moist inside, definitely not overdone as I feared. Still find it strange.

How long will summer sausage stay good for in the fridge? Weeks? Months? My friend would like to take some on our snowmobile trip, but that's not until January. Should he vacuum seal and freeze to keep it that long?

It should stay if you vac it and freeze. I had some Antelope sausage froze for a year and its was still very good.

nepas

rbentle2

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2007, 03:47:53 PM

It should stay if you vac it and freeze. I had some Antelope sausage froze for a year and its was still very good.

nepas

Thanks Nepas. And thanks for the info on the sausage binder. I really should pay more attention when reading Kutas' book.  :o
Bob