Non Stick

Started by Wing426, December 18, 2006, 03:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wing426

What has everyone found to use that prevents your food from sticking to thje racks?

West Coast Kansan

Nothing, but the jerky racks from chez bubba can help greatly.  I still give them a quick spray with oil first.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

ceeuawlsune

You can cut way back on the sticking factor by applying a generous coating of non-stick spray to the racks.  I also apply this spray directly to the V drip tray (very generously).  I've found that it definitely helps with the racks, and I'm still a little undecided on the V rack. 

After smoking, I soak all of the parts in boiling water with degreaser, liquid dish soap and dishwasher soap for about an hour before scrubbing.  I have had great results with this method - the parts come out looking like new - no joke!  The hardest part is getting the heaviest "debris" off of the V rack.  I haven't gotten a small paint scraper yet, but I'm sure that will be all I'd need to make it a no-sweat process.

I suppose this process with the V-rack could be minimized by using aluminum foil, but I'm a little hesitant to cover that V tray up with foil, even if I cut holes in it.  I don't mind cleaning it that much.

manxman

QuoteI suppose this process with the V-rack could be minimized by using aluminum foil, but I'm a little hesitant to cover that V tray up with foil, even if I cut holes in it.  I don't mind cleaning it that much.

You are spot on there ceeuawlsune, if you do cover up the v rack with aluminium foil you MUST cut holes in it at the appropriate places, it could be a potential fire hazard otherwise just as putting the v rack in upside down has proved to be.

I tried doing this for a while but gave up in the end and just settled for good old elbow grease with regards to cleaning the trays and v rack just as ceeuawlsune outlined.

There have been several discussions on using a power washer to get the worst of the grime off before putting them through a dishwasher or whatever, some people have gone down that route.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Hi Wing426;

Welcom to the forum.

There is a member who swears by using a food grade silicone spray. I can't recall which member provided this tip. If I recall correctly, he made sure the trays were clean, then sprayed them with the silicon. I am not sure if he seasoned them by applying heat. But one application seemed to last more then a couple of washings, and he stated the food will not stick to the trays. Food grade silicon is expensive. I have never used it, but just purchased a can from Sausage Makers, and was planning on applying it to my trays. I haven't done so yet, because now I am thinking of buying new trays. The jerky trays I have, the non-stick is flaking off, and the original trays have been used so much that the chrome coating is gone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ceeuawlsune

Although you can certainly use the commercial food-grade silicone spray, there's no reason to spend the extra money.  You'll get similar results with a $2.00 can of non-stick spray at the supermarket.  You're going to end up washing everything anyway, believe me.  I've used those silicone mats, and they're great, but they still require cleaning (with soapy water and sponge).

Elbow grease is the key, as far as I'm concerned, with the V-rack.

Never before has the term "Work smarter, not harder" come into play...if you try to take the V-rack directly out of the smoker and scrub, scrub, scrub, you'll be a sweaty - perhaps even bloody - mess. 

First of all, I spray my DRY racks and V-rack with a generous coating of non-stick spray (do this over the sink or some old newspaper, unless you like your floors/counters slick-as-goose-sheet).  After all cooking is done, I fill my sink with VERY hot water (sometimes supplemented with a pot of boiling water), the strongest degreaser I can find (currently using a product called "Greased Lightning"), a healthy squirt of liquid dish soap and a splash of dishwasher detergent (the powder).  I put the racks, the drip pan & the bowl in the sink, but LEAVE THE V-RACK ASIDE.  I spray the hell out of the V-rack with the strongest oven-cleaner I could find, without even scraping any of the big, chunky nastiness off.  Let this sit for at least 30 minutes.  While the oven-cleaner is working on the V-rack, you should wash the racks, drip tray and water bowl (let them soak for at least 15 before washing - don't forget the water is HOT).  After the things in the sink are clean, drop the V-rack into the now-filthy degreaser-water and wait another 20-30 minutes.  At this point, most of the chunks will come off surprisingly easily.  Any stubborn bits generally can be convinced by a brillo, and certainly by a small paint scraper.  Drain sink, rinse everything & you're ready for another round.

There is a product out there that I've used in a limited capacity in the restaurants I've worked in called CarbonOff.  It is supposed to be the strongest/best product out there for this kind of work.  I'm going to get some when I find it - I'm wondering if it is a little too strong of a chemical for the BS, but we'll see.  I hope I don't burn through my food racks!

Important: Be sure to have lots of good ventilation before using ANY degreaser product.

Finally, I just thought about OxiClean - I bet dumping some of that into the sink with the soap/degreaser wouldn't be a half-bad idea.

jimguy

Since the V pan is so close to the heating element, it gets hotter than the burning point of most cooking oils, either sprayed or brushed on. Pam makes a spray on oil especially for grills which has a much higher temp rating. I have used that on my V pan and grill with good results.

Habanero Smoker

ceeuawlsune;

I'm providing options to a question that was asked. Everyone has to choose their level of what they are comfortable with. Most of us use "non" stick spray or don't feel the need to spend money for oil in a can and will use a cloth or paper towel to apply the oil to the racks. Then you don't have to worry about the floor or counter top. For me, when I have a rub, brine or marinade with a lot of sugar in it, the spray doesn't work all that well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ceeuawlsune

I was thinking about this sticky situation: I have an out-of-the-box idea that might be a viable option, at least for larger cuts of meat..... 

Perhaps you could eliminate the need for racks when smoking pork shoulder if you utilized netting and sausage hooks?  Just a thought...I have no experience with this, so I'm not sure it would even work.  Like I said, just an idea.

You can get those "hook-racks" from Chez Bubba's website, as well as a few other accessories.

PS - Habs, I'm not attacking your idea of silicone spray; I, too, am "providing options to a question that was asked."  I like silicone myself, especially when applied to 20-25 year old blondes (or sheet pans, smoke racks, etc.).

acords

The only real sticking problem I've had was with salmon.  I sprayed the racks, and the skin side of the fish with the cheap stuff.  Worked great.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Wildcat

So far I have only hot smoked and have not used a brine and have not done jerky.  For my situation thus far, Pam on the racks and nothing on the V-tray prior to smoking, then a HOT soapy soak for 30 - 60 minutes, then and easy wash and into the diswasher has worked for me.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

QuoteElbow grease is the key, as far as I'm concerned, with the V-rack.

Nope ... simple oven clean.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ceeuawlsune

you mean run it through the oven cleaning cycle or use easy-off oven cleaner?  i've found that there's still a degree of elbow grease required with easy-off?

West Coast Kansan

Dawn Power Desolver does a good job.  Spray and let soak for a while.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

ceeu;

The silicone is not my idea, but neither was I attacking your ideas, like you said just providing options.

I
         don't
                   inhale.