Maverick Smoke Thermometer

Started by Louisiana BBQ, August 17, 2004, 01:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louisiana BBQ

I was thinking of geting the Above thermometer,  I want two probes, and i want to be able to set my own temps, not preset ones.  Will the marverick Smoke thermometer do this like i want??????  

Anyone has any other opinions on Wireless Thermometers.

Thanks

Dwayne

Dwayne
[email protected]

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Louisiana BBQ</i>
<br />I was thinking of geting the Above thermometer,  I want two probes, and i want to be able to set my own temps, not preset ones.  Will the marverick Smoke thermometer do this like i want??????  

Anyone has any other opinions on Wireless Thermometers.

Thanks

Dwayne

[email protected]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Dwayne!

Look at the Maverick #et-7 dual probe. I never set my own temp. but they claim you can do it. I use one probe for the meat temp. and the other probe for the smoking chamber temp. Seems to work just fine!

BigRedRon

BigRED

Louisiana BBQ

thanks.

Is that the  Marveick et 73 smoke???

Dwayne
[email protected]

nsxbill

Dwayne

Here is the link to a good place to pick up the Maverick.  They ship quickly and the price is righthttp://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

You can't go 100 ft away unless you are line of sight.  The items allows you to monitor your smoker temp and meat temp too.

Highly recommended

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Hot Smokin Gal

I'm using my Maverick ET73 for the first time while smoking some bacon (pork belly).  Having the following problem:

Question for those that have used Maverick ET73 smoker thermomenter, do weather patterns affect the sensors?  It's been raining but I covered the transmitter and the stack for the bisquettes with part of the smoker cover to keep off the rain.  The receiver has been flashing a satellite icon and the temp readings are off the wall (says smoker temp is like 389 and meat at 186).

Was hoping to get some sleep as it's almost 1:00 a.m. here in WI but having to keep close watch since the thermometer is wacky and temp is all over the place since the air temp ambient temperature is fluctating quite a bit.

Chez Bubba

HSG,

Sounds to me like you might want to replace the batteries. I was ready to throw mine away until that genius revelation occurred to me.[B)]
Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

bsolomon

I agree with Chez.  The Maverick ET73 seems to be very sensitive to having fresh, full batteries.  Don't rely on the fact that it turns on and does an initial synchronization as an indication that everything is going to be OK.  So far I have found that after about 15-20 hours of continuous usage, the transmitter will continue to read out correctly, but it will just stop sending updates.  It will respond to a reset (either on/off or with the little button inside the back of the unit) but at this point, it will become unreliable on the updates.  So, in short, if you want a good night's sleep, be sure to put in some fresh batteries just before you go to bed.

As to setting temperatures, there are three that you can set:

Smoker Low temp (only goes as high as 175 degrees, but enough to warn you of a serious problem, and happily this will only trigger once it passes that temperature on the way up the first time)

Smoker High temp (selectable well above the range we typically use of 200-220 degrees)

Food High temp (selectable in a very wide range)

Once you have these set, you can enable "Alarm" mode and the receiver will alert you if any of the above are out of range.  Since there is no memory for these when you cycle the receiver off and on, please pay careful attention to the battery note above, otherwise you will find yourself repeatedly resetting these.

Hot Smokin Gal

Thanks for the input.  I didn't think to install new batts.  Just put in the ones that came with it.  Before the temp readings went wacky I had to reset several times because it went to the --- but then came back after a reset.  I'll bet that was the problem.  I didn't stay up to wait  for answers, went to bed about 1:30.  I unplugged the main unit heating element since the temp had warmed up so much and got up a few times to check on it.  Seemed to hold where I wanted it with just the smoke generator going and dampers 1/2 open.  Didn't soak my salt/sugar pack bacon enough, guess I'll have to try to remedy with the boiling method.  Haven't sliced the wet maple brine yet.  Wasn't slicing worth a darn just chilled so I put in freezer to try to stiffen it up some.  I'll post back on it when I get it sliced and fry some up.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hot Smokin Gal</i>
<br />I didn't think to install new batts.  Just put in the ones that came with it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The ones that came with mine were stone cold dead. Kinda like Edison hadcrafted them in his lab.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

I just recieved my Maverick ET73. The question I have, for those who are using this thermometer - Are you sticking the probes through the vent, or are you running the wires from the transmitter through the door opening and closing the door on the wires. One additional question, where is the best place to locate the transmitter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

HS,
I use a single prob Polder(meat temp only).  I usually run the wire out the door but through the vent will also work.  The Polder has magnets on the back so I usually just stick it on top of the smoker and it seems to work fine.[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

bsolomon

I run both wires through the vent and sit the transmitter on the top of the Bradley, near the side of the unit (to keep it away from the smoke as much as possible).

Bassman

Ditto to what bsolomon said[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Habanero Smoker

I received my Maverick ET-73 Smoker Thermometer. Appears to be working great, as long as I keep it at least 2 feet away from my computer. The electric magnetic field from the computer and moniter appears to interfer with the radio signals. I guess that would apply to televisions and other appliances that emitt high EMF signals.

Maverick must have made some changes in the ET-73. I can set my minimum smoker temperature up to 202 degrees.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)