Cold smoking

Started by stormdiver, November 20, 2003, 12:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormdiver

Has anyone tried freezinf a block of metal and the having it in the smoker beside the water/ice bowl?

I am currently away from my smoker at the moment[:(] and will probably try to modifie my smoker for true cold smoking when i get back. Looking into some sort of sheet steel box whith hinged door instead of dryer hose.

And has anyone smoked Lamb or mutton (hot or cold) as times for this would be handy, as i have an abundance of both. Also has any one tried packet bacon? (stuff you have for breakfast) I do not know if the bacon is the same cut in your differant countries as i am from the uk. And have travelled enough to know that what i call one thing can be something completly different in other countries.
Happy smoking[:)]
Scott

Stormdiver

Chez Bubba

Scott,

I've done hot-smoked lamb & it is excellent. Leg, rack, very tasty. NZ variety though, don't know about the UK stuff, can't be that different though can it?

For cold-smoking I usually fill the water pan with ice, and if that's not enough, set another pan with ice on the lowest rack. Don't turn on the light bulb, only use the smoke generator, & it seems to work great. No problem holding 70-80 degrees.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

dbrown

We are searching for a recipe for smoking cheese.  Can't find one for the Bradley.  Any help will be appreciated.

Janie

bsolomon

Check the Recipe Discussion forum, third item:  Vegetables, Cheese, and Nuts.  Lots of good stuff in there about different techniques for cheeses, especially regarding keeping moisture off the outside of the cheese, and keeping the smoke rather light.

bellejnd

I'm from the Texas Gulfcoast.  It is really hot and humid here most of the year.  I am setting up my BS for cold smoking and I am concerned about maintaining low temps in the box.  With outside air temps hovering in the 90 F range, will ice in the water bowl be enough to keep the temp down????  Has anyone tried using dry ice???[?]

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bellejnd</i>
<br />I'm from the Texas Gulfcoast.  It is really hot and humid here most of the year.  I am setting up my BS for cold smoking and I am concerned about maintaining low temps in the box.  With outside air temps hovering in the 90 F range, will ice in the water bowl be enough to keep the temp down????  Has anyone tried using dry ice???[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

bellejnd,
Welcome aboard.  I would think you might need to set up the smoke generator inside a box and pipe the smoke to the cabinet.  There is a link to this setup on the board somewhere but I'm not sure where it is.  The ice will definitely help keep the temp down.Haven't tried dry ice but thats an idea.  HTH.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bellejnd</i>
<br />I'm from the Texas Gulfcoast.  It is really hot and humid here most of the year.  I am setting up my BS for cold smoking and I am concerned about maintaining low temps in the box.  With outside air temps hovering in the 90 F range, will ice in the water bowl be enough to keep the temp down????  Has anyone tried using dry ice???[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Norm,

Welcome to the Forum, and don't be a stranger.  The website BigSmoker is referring to is:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

A cardboard box is pictured, but of course you could use a metal box of some sort.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bellejnd

Thanks for the link to the websight!  I made my box from plywood.  Open on bottom, hose connected to the top.  Seems to work well for now.  The daytime temps are only in the 80 F range right now in the Houston TX area.  By the end of June we should see temps near 100 F during the day.  I will try the cold smoker then but will more than likely wait till cooler days return.

Chez Bubba

Cold smoking below ambient is going to be a challenge. Make sure it's in the shade and hopefully you have a stainless model and not a black one.

The person I would most listen to regarding this subject is Oldman, he lives in a similar environment & knowing his mind, has devised a few tricks. If he doesn't weigh in on this thread, email him, he'll be happy to share his knowledge.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

As to the dry ice question,

I tried it last weekend smoking some cheese. The temp stayed down real well it apeared that the smoke was fine but that could have been the vapors from the dry ice. Upon examining the spent bisquettes seemed to have been considerably more intact than usual. also during the smoke even with the vent full open the smoke was coming out of the generater, too cold for the smoke to rise. So in closing I don't think I will try using it again.

pipsqueek

I have had very successfull results cold smoking using my Bradley.
I cut a hole in the botton of my Little Chef smoker and placed it on top of the Bradley with the vent wide open. I used some old cloth around the vent hole to form a seal between the 2 smokers.
I have just completed some Cheddar cheese and the temp never went above 65 Deg F on my digital thermometer. The outside temp was 50 deg F and the Bradley thermometer was registering 130 deg F.