Disappointing Ham

Started by Dalby Spook, December 23, 2006, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi folks

Just finished my Christmas treats i.e. two sides of salmon, a 6lb bacon loin and a 6lb ham.
All got 8 hours at 60 - 70f. The fish and bacon are great but the ham tastes like it's never been near a smoker.

I left the rind on because I wanted good crackling ( crunchy skin) when I baked it. Is that where I messed up, the smoke not penatrating the rind?

I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

Gizmo

Can't help you much on that.  I get within 15 feet of the smoker and will smell like smoke.  I can't imagine anything being in smoke for 8 hours (or was is less and total cook time was 8?) and not having the wonderful aroma of buring aromatics.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

I suggest the next time you cold smoke a ham when you are done you wrap it up in plastic wrap and give it a week in the refrig so the smoke has a chance to work itself through to the bone.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Dalby Spook

Thanks for the reply guys. Gizmo, it got 8 hours straight cold smoke then into a regular oven to be cooked.
Olds,  it has improved as it's matured. More smokey, less salty.( The butcher said it did'nt need soaking,  I beg to differ)
I'll serve some up today with the festive bird!!

Best wishes to you and yours.

John
A. Einstien

pipsqueek

Brining definately improves the smoking process, I believe the brine in the meat creates a pathway or conduit for the smoke penetration. Also, inject 10% meat weight of brine along the bone into the meat.

Gizmo

Dalby, was the surface of the ham dry before smoking?
Still puzzles me that you did not get much smoke flavor.  When I do pork belly, after the cure and a quick air drying with the rind on, Just a few hours of a cold smoke puts soooooo much smoke flavor in it that I can't comprehend how your loin could resist  You could also try a criss cross cut on the surface (1/4 to 1/2 inch deep).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Dalby Spook

Yeah, Gizmo it was dry. I,m begining to think it was the saltiness that masked a lot of the smoke flavour. Next one I do will get a soak or two beforehand. Also the ham was a lot thicker piece than the bacon so the smoke had further to go.
A. Einstien

Habanero Smoker

Dalby;
Salt could be part of the problem. Generally smoke penetration is only a maximum of 1/8" inch deep, no matter what meat you are smoking, but longer smoking times will allow more smoke to adhere to the surface.

I have no facts to substantiate the following statement, but I believe even if smoke can only penetrate 1/8" during the smoking process, if you then cook or fry the finished product at a higher temperature, fat (which is a known flavor carrier) will distribute the smoke flavor more through the meat.

When I smoked my ham I used 4 hours of maple. It had a niece mellow smoke flavor, but I still wanted a little more (though the others who ate it thought the smoke flavor was just right), so next time I'm thinking of applying 6 hours. Keep us posted in what you do, and if it improves the smoke flavor of the ham.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)