Overwhelmed Newbie

Started by Truth Detector, December 27, 2006, 08:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

What O said. Hickory on the pork. ;) Alder on fish :)

Truth Detector

Quote from: owrstrich on December 29, 2006, 08:56:29 AM
td...

i would go with hickory for the pig arse...

adler is good for fish...

what does your pig arse weigh... what time do you want it on the plate...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

pig arse weighs 8 lbs.  I'd like to grub somewhere between noon & 3:00pm.   I'm thinking about bumping my start time to 10:00pm...

West Coast Kansan

Get started, asap, stay up until smoke is finished then change out the water (dump and refill to get rid of the spent pucks). Vent full or near full open. Go to bed and check in the morning.  You actually WANT to FTC a Butt.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Truth Detector

Thanks, WCK.

The beast is re-rubbed & waiting for the smoker to stabilize around 200-210.

owrstrich

td... dump water bowl after pucks are spent... fill it back up with fresh water... put it back in and do not open the door until its done... not even for a quick look... you are looking at a minimum 12 hour smoke at 200deg box... everytime you open the door it will just add more time...

dont freak out... you will not screw it up... just wait till its done... it will be worth it...

1 question... 1 8lb arse... what is the little detector gonna eat... he he he...

good luck bro... im driving tomorrow so i will have to wait for tomorrow night for an update...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Truth Detector

The bun is in the oven but I'm having fits getting the temperature to sit still.  I'm sure I'm over-reacting to temp changes but its staying between 200 - 215.  I just wish it would do so w/o me making adjustments.

Question:  If I open the vents wide open after the smoke phase is done will that cool the temp in the oven?

Arcs_n_Sparks

TD,

Resist the urge to make quick adjustments. The time constant for temp changes is quite long. Yes, opening the vent will cool things off. So you have two knobs to turn: temp and vent. Uusually, the vent is adjusted to be sure smoke and moisture move out, and that no smoke backs up through the generator. After minor tweaks, the temperature usually settles in and should only require minor adjustments.

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

dang...

i didnt think about it... origonal or digi... humm...

like sparks said... small adjustments... just get it settled in about 200 to 205 average on the temp swing and get some sleep... it will be ok...

owrstrich

Truth Detector

I'm still a little too warm.

I don't have a digital BS.

Can't sleep yet.  Got another 90+ minutes of smoke left before I change the water.

Gotta admit...this is fun.

;D

owrstrich

that is cool td...

i like the nondigi because thats all i know...

we are going to have to set you up with either a pid or digi temp switch and a remote digi thermometer if you dont already have them...

with those two accessories it is truly set and forget...

so what you have now is the beast absorbing heat and smoke... once the smoke is over the box temp will settle down a bit... it takes some practice... i was up all night eyeballing my first few smokes...

its the fear of rejection and the anticipation of the best beast ever...

i know nothing about pids... however i did make a digi temp switch... i can make another and send it to you in a few weeks if you decide against making a pid on your own...

photos of the little detector and the pig arse when done posted here please...

Truth Detector

Quote from: owrstrich on December 29, 2006, 09:19:42 PM
that is cool td...

i like the nondigi because thats all i know...

we are going to have to set you up with either a pid or digi temp switch and a remote digi thermometer if you dont already have them...

with those two accessories it is truly set and forget...

so what you have now is the beast absorbing heat and smoke... once the smoke is over the box temp will settle down a bit... it takes some practice... i was up all night eyeballing my first few smokes...

its the fear of rejection and the anticipation of the best beast ever...

i know nothing about pids... however i did make a digi temp switch... i can make another and send it to you in a few weeks if you decide against making a pid on your own...

photos of the little detector and the pig arse when done posted here please...

I'm not sure what a pid is but I'm at your mercy.  If you say I need one I believe you.  I don't think I'll sleep very well knowing the beast is cooking...LOL.

I took a photo of my rubbed butt pre-cook & will take post-cook photos.  I'll try to get the little detectors to cooperate but the girl has to cook longer than my Boston Butt before she'll allow pictures to be taken so it might just be the boy.  ;)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Truth Detector on December 29, 2006, 10:11:42 PM
I'm not sure what a pid is but I'm at your mercy.  If you say I need one I believe you.  I don't think I'll sleep very well knowing the beast is cooking...LOL.

PID is Pig Indicating Device..... :D

Actually, PID is Proportional Integral Derivative. A type of control scheme used to maintain a setpoint temperature.

In addition to what owrstrich mentioned, you will also need an adult beverage refrigerator in close proximity to the BS. Then tell the spouse you will be experimenting with the beast for the next 15-20 years.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Truth Detector

Pretty good for a rookie.

;D

Gizmo

Looks like a big hole out of the middle.  Did you have a snack before taking the picture?  Looking good Rook.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Agree with Gizmo; looks like over half is gone.......  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks