Overwhelmed Newbie

Started by Truth Detector, December 27, 2006, 08:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth Detector

Having been seduced elsewhere by owstritch & the good folks @ http://www.chezbubba.com I finally got myself a Bradley Smoker.  Now, I'm no cook & I've never smoked anything (well, there was this cigarette back in 8th grade...) so I'm intimidated by this thing & don't know what to do first.  I've got the smoke & spice cookbook with lots of great recipes but its mainly over my head.  I've read this forum & its mainly over my head.  (I'm not a smart man...)

What should I start with?  Pork? (which kind?)  Chicken?  Beef?  I foam at the mouth at the thoughts of a rare prime rib but I'm not sure I want to take my first stab at it with a $60 cut of meat.

Rub or no rub?  If rub, what kind?  They all seem to have sugar & I prefer no sugar.

vent or no vent?  Or how much vent?

I see some cooked open on the racks & others wrapped in aluminum foil?  Which & why?

I suppose I should just dive in & give it a try but I'm skeered.

L'il help?

:o

West Coast Kansan

Pork
Rubbed, just buy some to start
Vent open
dont wrap until finished (FTC)

Do this...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528.msg39301#msg39301

Have fun and enjoy.  Post your results.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Here is a link to the Recipe site with the newbie first steps.  Seasoning your bradley Smoker and What to Smoke the First Time With the Bradley Unit.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160

I would agree with WCK about using a pork butt for the first attempt although the chicken is very simple, quick, and a good eat.

Nothin to be skeered about, lots of help here if you get stuck.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Truth Detector

iceman

Hey Chez; Could you or old's sticky the FTC explanation for these guys? Seems the question pops up numerous times a month and I keep forgetting where I posted the explination.
Thanks. :)

iceman

Quote from: Truth Detector on December 28, 2006, 08:24:27 AM
What does FTC mean?   ???
Note:
F = foil
T = towel
C = cooler
Lets say after smoking a pork butt for 4 hours or so then keep it cooking until it reaches the desired temperature 195f / 210f ? or there and about. It could take 10 or 12 hours. Just depends on the amount of meat you're cooking.

You then take it out of the smoker and wrap it in aluminum Foil (maybe add some apple juice or whatever).

Then wrap it in a few layers of old Towels (like beach towels or old bath towels).

Next stick it in an old Cooler you have laying around (NO ICE! You're trying to keep it warm).

Let it sit for a couple of hours so the passive heat can do its magic and you will end up with some VERY, VERY tender, juicy meat.

I like to use a combo of hickory / apple, or oak / apple for ribs.

ICEMAN / Patrick Gbur

Truth Detector

OK.  Thanks.

More questions:  Do I soak the bisquettes in water?  If so, for how long?

Do you have any recommendations for which flavor bisquette to use for different types of meat?

Thanks again.

LilSmoker

Hi there, and welcome  ;)

Don't soak the bisquettes at all, just put them in dry, straight out of the pack.

Here is some info on the various flavours:

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26

Regards.............LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Truth Detector

Thanks.

I'm seasoning the smoker now & will attempt a Boston Butt (mainly because the rub looked easy & the meat was cheap) tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

:o

Truth Detector

another question:

Is it necessary to rotate the beast every so often?

???

Truth Detector

Ooh.

Another question:  I've read references to using apple juice when FTCing. 

How?  Do I pour it over the beast?  How much do I use?

??? ??? ??? ???

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Truth Detector on December 28, 2006, 06:52:09 PM
another question:

Is it necessary to rotate the beast every so often?

???
Rotation is only required (Front to back and top to bottom) when the meat load and cook times are large enough and long enough the bottom rack(s) are cooking faster than upper racks.

Quote from: Truth Detector on December 28, 2006, 06:54:58 PM
Ooh.

Another question:  I've read references to using apple juice when FTCing. 

How?  Do I pour it over the beast?  How much do I use?

??? ??? ??? ???

Apple juice is good to add moisture and a bit of sweet flavor. Many here on the forum will use a spray bottle and give the meat a couple of sprays when they have to open the door.  Others will do it every hour after smoke is done and your in the cook only mode.  When FTCing a splash will do to add some moisture.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

owrstrich

santa brought td a bs...

td... if you are doing a butt for tomorrow you need to start it NOW...

td... low and slow is the way to go... generaly 200deg to 210deg... some things like pig arse and brisket take a long time... the 160deg to 180deg beast plateau can take hours... use the ftc as a time buffer as the beast will stay hot and juicy for hours... smoke... ftc... serve... no rushing the smoke this way...

seldom does any smoke take more than 4 hours of smoke... since you count money for a living i will do the math for you... that would be 12 smoke pucks... i think... after the smoke stops you just wait for a specific internal meat temp...

1 10lb pig arse or brisket can take 15 hours or more... i would do a pig arse 1st beacuse you cant screw it up... after you got some practice over your belt you can do anything you have seen posted at tf...

so its fetch the beast... wash and dry... rubb like he11... fridge it for at least 1 day... take it out of fridge a few hours before smoking... that lets the meat temp come up a few degrees before smoking... preheat... set box for 200deg to 210deg... load the beast...advance the 1st puck... change water out after last puck is burned... wait for your desired internal meat temp... perhaps 195deg beast temp on the pig arse... i use 200deg box till the beast hits approx 175deg then i bump it to 210deg box... 

after some practice we can show you how to make shapiros quality pastrami... he he he...

welcome td... these folks are here to help... here is my cell 317-432-6842... call anytime...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Truth Detector

Thanks for all the tips.

I rubbed the beast last night & have it in the fridge.  I'm going to start the smoker tonight around midnight with four hours of smoke & approximately 12 hours total cooking time.  I won't rotate it because I understand that to only be necessary for multi-rack cooking.  I'll get it out a couple hours before I start cooking to let it come to temperature.

I'll consider it done when the internal temperature is 190-195.  Then I'll FTC it for a couple of hours.

Oh, the only bisquettes I've found so far are Hickory & Alder.  Suggestions?

owrstrich

td...

i would go with hickory for the pig arse...

adler is good for fish...

what does your pig arse weigh... what time do you want it on the plate...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...