will my turkey freeze?

Started by parishollow, December 29, 2006, 05:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parishollow

I have a 12 pounder in brine, the apple cider one in the recipes section. It is outside in 20ºF.  Will it freeze with that salinity at these temps?
Andrew

owrstrich

i think there is a good chance that an approx 40deg terkey placed in an approx 60deg salty brine will eventually freeze at 20deg ambient...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Habanero Smoker

PH;
You must be from a warm climate. :)

As Owrstrich points out, and most of us Northerners know; once the temperature drops below 20°F (realy around 15°F), salt is no longer effective in keeping things thawed out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

parishollow

I worried about it all night but thought even if it froze it would still work out.  I am in Denver btw. I had packed a little snow around the stainless pot when I put it on the table outside at 4:00 yesterday. Bird was at 40º as was the brine.  Had a ceramic bowl on top to hold it under and sealed the whole top with plastic wrap. It was 20º when I put it out.  This morning it is 14º. The brine is 30.6º and the bird is not frozen!  It is now resting in the fridge until the BS comes up to temp.  I am going to smoke alternating apple and cherry.
Andrew