BBQ Guru

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 29, 2006, 11:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Anyone ever use a BBQ Guru on a BS? And if so what model BBQ Guru and items did you use.
Are they good or not so for the BS.

TY

NePaSmoker

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I've been using the Raptor Guru (with the Competitor) for almost 2 years, and it works great. If  your BS is protected from the sun generally you can maintain cabinet temperatures of +/-2°F. In mild wind conditions, such as winds up to about 15 mph, it has no problem maintaining your cabinet temperature. At one point I was thinking about purchasing the Procom 4, but couldn't justify it. Though if I had the money that is the way I would go. I don't have any knowledge of the Pit Minder. The set up I have works great. The only thing that bothered me for a short period of time was looking at a display that had LED lights that indicated a range of temperature.

If you already have the Competitor you only need to purchase the Raptor power unit. If you do decide to purchase the Raptor Guru, give some thought into ordering the 6' thermocouple instead of getting the standard 4' length (I believe if you send them an e-mail, or better yet call, they will switch the lengths and adjust the price accordingly. With the 6' cord you can set the Competitor on the generator; away for the smoke vent, and still have plenty of cord to run it through the vent. If you do a search on forum member SmokeHouseRob on the Guru, he used a magnet to attach the Competitor to the side of the BS, if you use his idea then the 4' cord will be long enough.

Good luck with your decision.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

acords

QuoteIf you do a search on forum member SmokeHouseRob on the Guru, he used a magnet to attach the Competitor to the side of the BS, if you use his idea then the 4' cord will be long enough

I actually bought SR's set-up with the magnets.  It works very well.  I did have to replace the TC's a couple of months ago, but well worth the investment.  The only drawback to this unit is that you need to "fool" it when smoking at temps below 175, as that is the lowest setting for pit temp that it has.  Still worth it though.  You may also want to look into building a PID.  Much cheaper, and does amost the same thing.

Good luck
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!