Guru Raptor and Brisket question

Started by RonR, December 31, 2006, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

I guess this question is for the guys with the competitor/raptor.  I am doing my first brisket on Tuesday, also my first time to use the Guru.  I was thinking of putting the brisket in at about 9pm Tues night, dinner won't be until 7pm Wednesday night for the Sugar Bowl.  What I was wondering is,  can I start the competitor off on regular mode, then if I see it it getting ready way too soon,  turn it off and back on to go into Ramp mode?   Would that be a way to buy me a few more hours?  Should that keep my meat at my set temp?  Any ideas would be very helpful.  I just hope I leave some beer for the guest showing up later  :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: RonR on December 31, 2006, 04:36:21 PM
I just hope I leave some beer for the guest showing up later  :o

Why; is that a New Year's resolution?  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Gizmo

I have had a brisket wrapped in foil in a pre-warmed cooler for 6 hours and it was still warm.  Started as whole packer brisket split into flat and fat cap. 6 racks of ribs.  Had a 2 hour wait before being able to break out the flat and a few racks.  4 hours later, took out the fat cap and the rest of the ribs for the evening snack.  After the initial cook and while wrapped in foil, you can hold it at 150 Deg for few hours without a problem.  That should give you plenty of play time.
No experience with a Guru so I can't give advice on that.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

That is a long time to fully cook and hold a brisket. What size brisket and how many are you smoking? What temperature are you going to smoke/cook at?

You did not say which model Guru you have, but the most common is the Competitor. Switching to Ramp mode is just a simple matter of powering down, then leaving all your settings the same, then power back up.

You have a few options. Start the brisket at the time you already planned, and if the internal temperature get too close to reaching the set point too early, you can put it into ramp mode to extend the cooking time.

I feel a better option for you would be to start the brisket at the time you already planned, and start off in ramp mode. Around 12 PM to 2 PM, if it is cooking too slow, disable the ramp mode. Just power down, turn the meat dial to off or all the way to the left, power on and reset your meat temperature.

You are talking about a 22 hour smoke/cook time, I'm figuring the brisket(s) will be done way before 7PM. If by chance your brisket gets finished at 2 PM, you are now looking at holding the meat at a temperature you can serve at. If you are facing a situation that you have to hold the meat 4 to 5 hours before you are ready to serve you can FTC it, but with the Raptor Guru you have better control over the meat temperature. Leaving the Competitor in ramp mode, remove the brisket(s) and wrap it in heavy duty foil. Return the brisket(s) to the BS and insert the meat probe, and set the meat temperature at 140°F. That will insure that you keep the meat at a safe temperature and that it does not get dry.

Let us know how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on December 31, 2006, 04:51:37 PM
Quote from: RonR on December 31, 2006, 04:36:21 PM
I just hope I leave some beer for the guest showing up later  :o

Why; is that a New Year's resolution?  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks
I know at my house if you want a beer you better get there early cause I don't save the stuff (unless I pass out first). :o :D