First Brisket A Little Dry

Started by Sully, January 03, 2007, 08:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sully

New to the BS and this forum and loving it!  Very impressed with the collective wisdom.  Got my new BS (standard 4 rack stainless) for my b-day recently.  Smoked a whole chicken, sausage and some ribs like I was a pro.  Had great luck with an 8lb pork butt, never tasted pig so tasty and moist. 

My only stumble came with a brisket.  While the flavor and smoke taste were great, it just wasn't as moist as I had hoped.  Here is what I did: 

I bought a good looking 8lb brisket and took home to prepare for cooking.  Did not freeze.  Rubbed it down with a good mustard and standard home grown rub.  Wrapped and fridged overnight and next day.  Put in BS at 12AM (trying to time it right for Xmas lunch the next day. Up late playing Santa anyway!)  Preheated to 225 and placed on second rack from bottom.  Closed door and let the hickory burn.  I checked it at 3hrs and sprayed down with mix of olive oil and apple juice.  The internal temp was a little bit hard to regulate.  I haven't quite gotten the hang of getting it regulated.  I've been reading up on the PID and its tempting but I'm going to go at it with standard for a while.)  I got the temp stabilized around 210.  Sprayed down every 11/2 with the juice.  I'm using a Polder Therm and it hit 180 internal at 7:30am.  (To be honest I was surprised it cooked so fast.  I was expecting it to take at least 10 hours.  That's why I started it so early.)  Pulled it out, sprayed down and poured 1/2 cup apple juice over it, and then FTC.  It sat in cooler until lunch at 1pm.  Sliced up nicely, color, texture and flavor were great.  But disappointed it was tad dry.     :(

Any thoughts on why it might have been a bit dry?  Any suggestions on how to improve my process here.

[Side note:  Why can't you use foil in a BS?  BS handbook says it will damage the BS.  Anyone know why?]

Gizmo

Sully, welcome,

Your method sounds like a great product should have emerged and maybe it did.  Hard to tell what "a little dry" means to different people so hard to compare what your results were in relation to what others or I have received.  Some people tend to think anything smoked seems a little dry even if it is dripping wet inside.  As for the foil in the BS, they are mostly referring to not using foil on the Vtray (or possibly spread over the racks) that would block the vents and prevent proper circulation.  If your product does not take up the whole rack, there is nothing wrong with wrapping it back up in foil and placing it back in the BS to finish after the smoke has stopped rolling.  The danger being referred to is the possibility of grease buildup catching fire and causing damage.  The Vtray is designed to allow the smoke to rise up and the grease to get collected in the water tray.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Scully;

Welcome to the forum.

What were you using to monitor the cabinet temperature? It looks as if your cabinet temperature may have been higher then the 210°F that you wanted to smoke/cook at. If you were using the door cabinet that it not as reliable as a separate temperature probe to monitor the temperature. That brisket should have taken much longer to reach 185°F, especially if you opened the door a few times.

If you don't have a probe to monitor the cabinet, give some thought into purchasing another probe to monitor the cabinet or the Maverick E-73.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sully

Good thoughts Gizmo.  The brisket was good.  Not total bust, I'm always looking to improve for that perfect smoke.  I think its part of the addiction.  :)  Thanks for info on the foil deal.  I typically foil my briskets after a smoke and finish in the oven.  I think I'll try the foil in the BS after the smoke on my next try.

I think there is something to the inside temperature not being regulated properly, Habanero.  I did notice some significant fluctuation.  I need to check the BS therm to check for accuracy.  I'll give the maverick E-73 a look.

Thanks Gents.