Pork loin - Perfect!

Started by dbrincon, August 19, 2004, 07:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrincon

Finally tried a pork loin: 10# elephant trunk. Cut it in half to fit on two racks. Used the rub from the Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork recipe, modified a bit with the addition of cumin, ginger, and a fist full of fresh assorted sages, rosemary, and lemon balm from the garden thrown into a blender with other rub ingredients.  Smoked at 200º with apple for about 3.5 hours until the internal temp reached 147º which then topped out at 163º after sitting a bit.  No basting. Surprisingly very moist.  Served with a blueberry and onion sauce.  PERFECT.

nsxbill

What's the recipe on the sauce.  That sounds too good!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

db,

Thats got to be the best loin recipe I ever heard of. I had to read the post twice. You could be crowned king of the loins with that one. Maybe a few more details would be great.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

dbrincon

The blueberry and onion recipe I found at www.recipezaar.com, specific site given below.  For the smoked loin I substituted about 3# of fresh blueberries and used Spenda instead of the sugar to keep it South Beach friendly.  Fresh tomato slices sprinkled with crumbled feta cheese rounds out the plate I think.

Sweet Blueberry Onion Sauce #97231
by *Carlee*
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=97231

A beautiful alternative to cranberry sauce! I learned this recipe from a German chef at a private party. The blend of onions and blueberries will amaze you. It's a guaranteed winner -- I don't know how many people I've passed this on to, but you CAN'T GO WRONG! — Aug 8, 2004
1    large onion, chopped  
1    kg frozen blueberries  
1/2    cup sugar  
1/2    cup butter  

2-6 servings Change size or US/metric | 40 minutes 10 mins prep

Change to:  servings US Metric  
1.  Mix the onion and blueberries in a large saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
2.  Add butter and sugar.
3.  Let it simmer while stirring occasionally for at least a half hour, or until the entire mixture is soft and well blended.
4.  OPTIONAL: add more butter to taste.
5.  Serve it HOT with a pork/beef/bison roast that's thinly sliced.
6.  Freeze the leftovers because you'll have enough left to have this tasty sauce for a few more meals.

Bassman

DB,
Good job and thanks for the blueberry sauce recipe. I will be adding that to my list of things to try.[:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

db,
You'd be da man....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

Thanks for the recipe and the source.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.