Santa was good to me, got a new BS, looking for first project?

Started by thrdrock, December 31, 2006, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrdrock

Got an original BS for Xmas, was disappointed it didn't come with any bisquettes to try it out. Went out day after, and found one pkg of the Hickory in a 10 mile radius!!. Going to fire it up tomorrow (Happy New Year) and season it, then will be ready to try it out. Was hoping someone has a couple of good, easy 1st time recepies that don't involve a lot of cure time,brine time, etc. We are partial to pork, was thinking of trying some chops, or maybe a tenderloin. Welcome any and all suggestions!
Paul

owrstrich

you mentioned pork tenderloin... its easy... its fast... its good... do not over cook...

i get the loin that is about 4 or 5 inches round and as long as a bs rack is wide... sometime the really big ones have to be cut in half to fit a rack... you got the idea... do not over cook...

i trim all the fat because the fat seems to get nasty on the loin... then rubb it... i like the dizzy pig swamp rubb but you can put together any mixx of rubb that you want...  do not over cook...

i fridge it for a day or 2 for the rubb to settle in but its not necessary...

i load 4 hours of hickory or smoke of your choice... fill up the water bowl and slide it in... preheat bs to 200... after loading advance a puck on the burner... vent 1/3 open... do not over cook...

slide 1 pound of cheap bacon spread over the next to top rack or 1 pound of cheap pepperoni spread over the next to top rack... your choice... what ever you put up there will drip on the loin to flavor and moisturize...

slide your loin in 1 rack under the bacon or pepperoni... i smoke at 200 box until the beast reaches 145 internal...

1 rack size loin at room temp in a 200 preheated box may take 4 hours to reach 142 internal... ftc for minimum of 1 hour... a 2 to 4 hour ftc is better... 2 rack size loins wont take much more than 5 hours... do not over cook...

142 internal for ftc... 145 internal for slice and grubb no ftc... do not over cook...

out of ftc i slice both 1/8 thin and 1" thick slabs... always moist and tasty... do not overcook

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

did i mention not to over cook the loin...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

You might think about some chicken as well (vent well opened). Chicken takes on the smokeflavors very nicely and does not take a long time. Good choice for no fuss smoke-to-meal eating.

This is a couple of bone in chicken breasts and a kansas style chicken roll.  The breasts all are smoked 1.6 hours with Pecan. The bone in are pulled at 140 F IT and painted with Iceman's Sauce and blasted on a hot grill a couple of minutes and then indirect on grill for a few more to allow a second painting of sauce.

The Kansas style rolls are what you do when the chicken 0 is smarter than you are and you cant get them thin enough to roll nice. The layers are Cheese / Bacon / Chicken / Cheese / Ham / Cheese / Chicken / Bacon / Cheese. They are finished in the BS at IT of 155 to 160. Real Chicken Sandwich! (Sprinkle with Lipitor and Tricor and Crestor as required cuz chicken does not HAVE to be good for you).

Less than 4 hours to your tummy
Enjoy your smoker and dont be a stranger on the forum.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

thrdrock

Owrstrich, that tenderloin sounds great! and easy too. Like the idea of the bacon over the top, it's a "pork fat thing" ya know! Do you have a link for the Dizzy Pig rub you mentioned? This will most definitely be one of my first projects.

And West Coast, those Kansas Chicken Rolls....just wanted to rip them off the screen and pop them in my mouth!!! Great idea!!! You mentioned Lipitor,Crestor,and Tricor, being new to this, not familiar with what those are??

Thanks to both, know what I will be eating next weekend!!! will keep you posted on the results.

thrdrock

Duh....to much champagne last night, just got the Crestor, Lipitor thing!!!
Sucks getting old! Thanks again y'all

Wildcat

WCK - those pictures are awesome.  I have got to try that roll.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Well the link is the way it is supposed to be done, but like i said just not smart enough to get it to roll nice even cutting each side in half.  Still have not given up - just have to find the balance between pounded thinner and chicken gue... so i cheat and this is real easy and can throw in whatever sounds like it might tase good.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

SandNSmoke

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on January 01, 2007, 09:56:21 AM
Well the link is the way it is supposed to be done, but like i said just not smart enough to get it to roll nice even cutting each side in half.  Still have not given up - just have to find the balance between pounded thinner and chicken gue... so i cheat and this is real easy and can throw in whatever sounds like it might tase good.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

This is exactly what I made tonight for my first smoking (just got my Bradley a few days ago). I needed something small and quick since we are still eating up roast from New Year's. It came out perfectly, the only thing I did differently was to sprinkle cayanne and garlic powders on the rolls. I used half maple and half apple (2 pucks each). Great stuff. My wife was duly impressed and promised me *great things* should I continue cooking this way.  ;D

Now, as soon as that roast is gone I'm making up a big batch of pulled pork! Can't wait!

Richard

Arcs_n_Sparks

SandNSmoke,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the smoke. Good to have the spouse on board.....

Arcs_n_Sparks

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  A great smoke and got the wife's support as well.  That calls for another toast. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Yeah, the spouses really come through on the *Great Things* promiss.  I got a new ranch grill and cook book.    :(
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Still looking for my 'great things' - guess i need to follow the recipe more closely!

Gizmo

Priceless WCK.  The MRS and I split a side on that one. :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on January 03, 2007, 09:43:17 PM
Still looking for my 'great things' - guess i need to follow the recipe more closely!
Geez, the closest I ever got to "Great Things" lately was permission to stay in the house and not get booted out after dinner to the kennel with my furry boys. ;D
I think i saw "Great Things" awhile back, well okay so I had a few beers and maybe I just saw "Things". :o :D I better stop now before I really get in trouble. ;)