Santa was good to me, got a new BS, looking for first project?

Started by thrdrock, December 31, 2006, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrdrock

;D
OK, got the OBS seasoned up this morning, everything seems to be working fine. Decided to try the original variation of WC's chicken rolls, from the recipie forum. They are on the smoke now, for about 4 pucks worth (per the recipie), then on to IT of about 155-160. After that I have some boneless country style ribs ready, with Chez Bubba's tenderloin marinade (about 24 hours worth). Think I will do the smoke and temp about the same as the chicken. Have taken pic's along the way, as soon as I figure out how to post them, I will show the results, good or bad. Once again, thanks again everyone for your suggestions, the OBS rocks, and so does this forum. Should be required reading for every owner.

One new question, I see a lot of people use the Maverick dual thermometer, but have seen a bunch of bad reviews regarding probe life / durability. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback??

"Thrd"

owrstrich

i wish you good cheeze karma...

i used a polder and switched to the maverick after my 3rd probe failure...

no failures for me on the et73...

get them photos posted... im hungered...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

here b how 2 post pics... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2472.0
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Gizmo

I believe the bad probe comments are probes in general.  I have yet to see any reviews anywhere that has stated their brand of probe has never failed.  Extreme care is required for all probes to ensure no liquid gets into the probe end where the wire is crimped into the probe body.  This includes cleaning and during spraying of liquids while cooking. 

I have a 15 year old sunbeam.  Probe has sat in water overnight multiple times (didn't know about the issues back then).  Still works but does read 2 degrees lower than the other digitals.
I have an Acu-Rite that is about 6 years old.  Still works but often the display flashes between Farenhite and Celsius.  I also have a dual sensor Polder that is about 4 months old.  The later two are within a degree of each other but about 2 degrees lower than the brand new thermapen.  I have tried to be very careful with the Acu-Rite and the Polder with keeping the probes out of the water.  I have not experienced the probe failure but do believe it is a serious issue for reliability (or profitability for the probe manufacturers). 

My next probe will be a maverick for the remote monitoring.  Regardless, special care is required for longer reliability.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Very happy with my ET-73 probes...

One is working right now on a butt...   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

thrdrock

;D
OK, chicken rolls are out of the OBS, and looked and tasted great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say GREAT!!!??? Ribs are in now, going through about 1hr 20min of "Special Blend" smoke, then up to 145-150 IT to finish. "Smoke Mamma" and I scarfed one of the chicken rolls in a couple of minutes, other is in the fridge for snacks later. I love this smoker!!! Thanks for the good Cheeze Karma OW, some of it puked out during the smoke, but enough stayed in to "feel the Karma"...can't wait to see how the ribs come out. "Mamma" took some good pics along the way, will try to get those on tomorrow, gonna be late when ribs are done, so will probably not do them today.

Thanks for all the input on thermometers, I have had a $20 Pyrex for several years now, probe finally died when the cord got crimped, so use it for a timer now, and got another. Think I will get a 3rd to monitor box temp., and use the existing one for meat temp. When one of those goes, will most definitely get the Maverick, much less hardware to deal with. " Safe Probe-age" is most definitely the order of the day, and carefull use should be OK and resonable life. If the need should occur, is it possible to get replacement probes for the Maverick??

Thanks to everyone once again, you guys are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thrd

Habanero Smoker

The Maverick probes are pretty reliable compared to other brands. I have handled them fairly rough and have had one probe failure with the Maverick. At the time the company reported that most of the probe failures were cause by grill hoods pinching the wire, or in my case possibly pinching it in the vent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thrdrock

;D ;D ;D
OK, first day of smoking is over, and a pretty good session, even if I do say so !!! As mentioned, the chicken rolls came out super, ribs came out about an hour or so ago...definitely not your average BBQ variety ribs, but extremely tasty non the less. Just a good hint of smokey flavor, and the marinade from Chez Bubba gave them a very tastey difference, the liquid is balsamic vinegar, with onions and a little chili powder and some red pepper flakes, along with a couple of other herbs. Almost an Italian flavor, but with that little peppery-chili bite. Might be a bit mild for some, but I am not a big spicey food fan. We scarfed down a couple right away, and saved some for later. Took pics of them too, will try to get them on here in the next couple of days. As far as I am concerned, both recipies are keepers.

thanks again for all the input on the Maverick, looks like it goes on next years Xmas list !!

"Thrd"

Gizmo

Wildcat

Congrat on your success. ;)  I do not think I would have the patience to wait a year for the Maverick. :'(
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

thrdrock

You're right Wild, I can't either, just ordered the Maverick!!!!!

West Coast Kansan

Thrdrock, sounds like an all around success story. Well done.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

I thought next month is Xmas.  Thanks for confirming that Thrdrock. ;D

thrdrock

OK, going to attempt to post the pics from Sunday's first attempt (actually two attempts, since I did the chicken rolls first, then the ribs)
first, the chicken rolls before they went in...

yes, there is some chicken under all that bacon!!!

and after....

finally the ribs, after....

sorry the first photo was so big, "newbie" ya know.

anyway, thanks yet again to everyone for their help and comments, really helps out and makes it much more fun, and quite a bit less stressful (don't want to ruin $$$$ worth of meat, ya know). "Smoke Mamma" would never let me forget about it!!!!

Side note, ordered some Bubba Pucks last night, after just one "smoke" I can sure see the advantage of using them. Over time they will more than pay for themselves in wasted bisquettes. Plus helps make the smoke timing real cut and dried. 

Thinking I will do the tenderloin next from page 1, or maybe a brisket. Anyone have any good suggestions for marinades, smoke time and type, etc for the brisket?

"when you're spinning round, things come undone, welcome to Earth, Thrdrock from the sun!!!!

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

I just did my first brisket.  Kept mine simple and turned out perfect.  Used a rub of sea salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  Slow smoke.  8 pounder took me 18 hours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/