First Smoke

Started by smokerman, January 01, 2007, 07:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerman

Did my first smoke yesterday.  made mistakes, but wasn't real costly.  2- half deer loins
1-half pork loin.rubbed and set overnight. COOKED TO LONG. THERMOMETER NOT WORKING RIGHT, MUST GET A MAVERICK. deer was eatable but to dry, pork was bigger so it wasn't to bad. at least all had a great flaver. Garage temp was middle 40's, set dbs for 220, and had temp swing of
221 to 205 on digital temp gauge while in smoke time.  221-201 after smoke shut off.  Oh well
had much fun and learned  some.

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokerman,

How long did things go? I've had such swings on my Original BS before getting the slider settled down.

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

its all about the practice... lean cuts take some practice... fatty cuts are more forgiving...

someone may know what to do about that 20deg temp swing... i dont know anything about the digi bradley but a 20 deg swing seems like it can be shaved down...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

DBS certainly has swings - but am not familiar with these readings. Usually have more overshoot...

Actual temps depend on a lot of things.  The digital display provides a nice reading of the temperature of the back wall of the smoker.  I have my most accurate readings with an external probe ET72 dedicated to the purpose with the probe centered about 2 inches below the beast on the third rack.  Overshoot as read on DBS temp is usually greater from my experience. But they will be consistent.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)