Bisquette won't automatically advance

Started by ssammut, January 03, 2007, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssammut

Bisquette won't automatically advance
Hello all
A friend has given a bradley smoker that she had bought new about two years ago but never used and well looked after. All works well apart from the automatic advance. On pressing the advance button the bisquette advances but doesn't automatically advance every twenty minutes or so as it should. Can anyone advise on either what I am doing wrong or what I suspect the fault is. If it is a fault can anyone tell me where I can get repairs or spare parts from.
Many thanks
Steve

Habanero Smoker

I can't think of any causes at this time, but there are several on this board who are pretty good trouble shooting electrical and/or mechanical problems.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Can't help in that department, but welcome to the family. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Chez Bubba

Steve,

First thing I'd check is to see if the motor mount or contact unit screws are loose or missing. You can open the generator like a clamshell by removing the 6? perimeter screws on the bottom.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jonniv

I had an identical problem on a recently purchased smoke generator. It worked fine the first time but apparently quit on my second smoking event. I had to feed the pucks with the manual advance button every twenty minutes.
  You will have to remove all the bottom perimeter screws to seperate the covers.....Disconnect the heater element connector so as not to burn yourself or start a fire. You can then plug the unit in and watch the operation.
  My unit started working on its own after I removed and reinserted all the connectors. (unplugged of course)
  I timed my unit and found that it cycled through on twenty-two minute intervals.
  The timer, apparently, is electronic, in a sealed black box....If that's defective; I have no idea where you can find a replacement....Maybe one of the other members can help.
    ::) 

Boybach

Hi Guys and lasses help please
Have had problems with bisquette advance. Worked perfectly on first smoke in my new generator and gave up half way through 3 hour cycle on second use. Advised Bradley UK (Grakka) who immediately sent me new generator. Today 2 hours through 5 hour smoke same problem. I cannot advance bisquette manually nor automatically - is this a known problem and any idea how I can fix it. Am pretty much down in the mouth presently as my Bradley experience is getting tarnished
Thanks
Boybach :(

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

nodak

You could try to take it apart as I did and noticed some wires were getting pushed in the way when shell was put on as it worked perfect until I put the shell back on.  Make sure you unplug it if you decide to take it apart, and be careful if you operate it without the shell on while checking it out.

manxman

Hi Boybach,

I had 2 faulty generators before I finally got a good one. The advance motor on the OBS generators seem particularly prone to problems in some instances and quite a few people have sourced spare motors to keep in reserve.

It appears that if you have a faulty generator the problem manifests iself early on, the longer it goes without a problem the less likely you are to get one if you see what I mean.

The advice from nodak is good, on the second occasion I did this so at least I could tell Grakka exactly where I thought the problem lay. Just be sure to take note of his safety advice too!!  ;)

However assuming it is still under warranty I would put the problem back onto Grakka, whilst it is frustrating at least they sorted me out very quickly and I ended up with 2 spare generators that can be canabilised for spares if needed at some stage in the future.

Manxman

Boybach

Hi Manxman/Nodak
Thank you both for your advice. However as the unit is brand new and been used for less than 2 hours in total will phone Grakka again. It was their real efficient response to the last problem which is keeping me from being too harsh with my comments save to say the air around the house was pretty blue for a couple of hours today more with frustration and disappointment than feeling I've been sold a pup.
I tried Nodak's advice and took the shell off -checked all the connections I could see,switched power supply on - all lights came up but pressing the advance button produced nothing - the system was as dead as a Dodo. So re-assembled case. Now left with another batch of half cooked ham and bacon - will this keep as is until I can get smoking again or should I throw it away. I have 10lbs Ham and 4 lbs bacon both cured and dried and now smoked a little
Thanks again for your help
Boybach
ps Manxman got my 3 alu bisquettes from Kirk a couple of days ago - thanks for the help

nodak

You could go ahead and finish cooking your meat it just won't have that smoke flavor you're looking for.  I would do this if it's going to be a while before you get a new one.

owrstrich

this is crazy... i carry my obs is a trailer and it has close to 150k miles on it while laying on its back being tossed around from the glass smooth west coast freeways...  besides that i have to pull it out and load it up and truck it around and its beat up... never had a single smoke generator  problem...

it sounds like these problems are all present from the factory making the quality control at the factory suspect... the consistant reports of doa smoke generators is not good... they fix their manufacturing... their assembly and their inspection process before some hungered canadian goes postal on them...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Boybach

Yes reading that Manxman has had three SG's and me 2 I wonder if the problem is a batch of faulty ones got sent to the UK

manxman

Problems with the OBS SG seem to have happened on both sides of the pond and seem to be a recurring theme over quite a period of time, I am surprised that they have not gone for a slightly better spec given the ongoing issues.

For the future Boybach it is perhaps worth knowing that Grakka carry a wide range of spare parts inc. the advance motors!  ;)

In the meantime good luck with getting the issue sorted, sadly looks like you will have to finish the ham and bacon off in the oven on this occasion.  >:(
Manxman

West Coast Kansan

Dont need a great razor if you dont mind replacing them for customers who keep the blades burning.  But you better not sneeze on customer service (which is still great at Bradley IMO) or we will have a forum remembering when we used to use those smoker with the little round pucks.

It is an interesting strategy if that is what it is about.  O, need to add a few thousand miles the smoker travelled from china to canada, canada to indiana to your 150k miles. 

I guess the point is that once you get a good one it IS A Good One. It is not however a happy thing when your smoker takes a dump in the middle of a smoke. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on January 21, 2007, 03:14:20 PM

I guess the point is that once you get a good one it IS A Good One. It is not however a happy thing when your smoker takes a dump in the middle of a smoke. 

I seem to have a good one and glad of it. 

I agree about not being happy with the smoker going out in the middle of a smoke.  I still have my side firebox smoker to take over if need be.  If it were not for that, I would think about getting a second BS.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/