help-Baby Backs

Started by smokerman, January 06, 2007, 08:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerman

Going to do Baby Backs tomorrow . Probably 3 racks cut in half.  will a digital themometer work ok on ribs or how do you tell when done.  did'nt know if meat would be thick enough to use thermometer or not.  Thanks all.

Gizmo

From what I have read on the portable digital meat thermometers, it is hard to tell where the actual sensor is within the probe body (and it is not in the very tip) which can make it difficult to get a precise reading.  A thermopen is a very good instant (2-3 second) read thermometer but it is not something you stick in the meat and leave.  IMHO you would need to insert your probe lengthwise between the bones so that the probe area with the actual sensor would be in the middle of the meat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Follow the advice from Iceman (the link LilSmoker posted).

For baby backs, I would check around the 4.5-5 hour mark to see if they are done. I have never gotten a probe to work properly. It's better just to check with an instant read thermometer, or test by twisting the bone. If part of the end of the bone is protruding out beyond the meat, and it twists fairly easy they are done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)