Hey LilSmoker...

Started by Tiny Tim, January 27, 2007, 08:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

In the PETA thread, I saw that you do some carp fishing.  My buddy wants me to smoke a couple that we caught a couple of years ago (I know they're probably freezer burnt by now, but we may catch more this year), and I was wondering how you go about it.

Do you scale/skin them?  How about brining?

LilSmoker

Hi Tiny Tim, yes i do fish for carp, but we never eat them we just carp fish for the sport, i know this probably sounds crazy, but in the u.k. carp are treated with the upmost respect, especially the bigger ones.
All fish are usually weighed photographed and then returned.

The only time i eat my catch is when i fish for trout, and the few occasions i get to fish for salmon, and some saltwater fishing.
Anyway sorry i can't help with the carp, i know the eastern europeans eat a lot of carp, including some of the u.k. stock  :o
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

LilSmoker

Hi again Tiny Tim, i just found this recipe, maybe you could try it:

http://www.the-fishing-network.com/magazine/v02/n01/tvo-13a2.htm#rec7

Also some info here:

http://forums.deeperblue.net/recipes-cooking/66005-carp-recipies.html

From what i've read, you must make sure to remove the "mud vein" otherwise the carp will apparently taste disgusting, i really wouldn't fancy eating one myself, probably because they are held in high regard over here.

I will eat just about anything else though  ;D

Anyway good luck if you go ahead with the carp...............LilSmoker

winemakers

carp fishing is no different on this side of the pond.  I used to spend lunch 'hours' fishing in the Erie Canal turning basins.  4#test and 10# carp can make for a long lunch break.  Catch, (as little touching as possible) and release only.  Touching them is like a handfull of mucus.  eech..  However, any fish that big on light tackle is a gas!!!

mld

Wildcat

Sounds like fun!  You should come to Florida and try catching these huge Tarpon on fly rods.  You could spend 2 or 3 hours trying to get these monsters tired enough to land. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Yeah, carp fishing is usually a lot of waiting over here, apart from the small ones, the reason for this is because the older bigger fish get wiser every time they get caught, they associate any bait with danger. So they become very cautious when feeding, they are very intelligent fish, i could tell you some real freaky things i've seen carp do when i've observed them feeding at close quarters.

The bigger older fish are a real challenge to catch over here, that's why they treated with so much care, and up until recently they struggled to breed in the u.k. climate, but the last few years with global warming etc, has seen them doing very well.
My biggest carp is 40lb 4oz, that was in 1988, at that time it was very rare to see carp of that size over here, so i was famous for a couple of weeks! ;D
I don't do as much carping as i used to, don't get the time, but i still enjoy it when i latch into a biggun!.

@ Wildcat, i'd love to catch a tarpon, do those fish fight or do they fight! maybe next time i'm in Florida i'll have a go.
Last time i was in Florida, we went to East Lake Fish Camp for the bass, i couldn't believe the size of that lake! :o, we didn't do to well at the fishing, too many airboats! well that's my excuse anyway ::) ;D
Great place though, and btw you guys use such big hooks (Bigmouth Bass) ;D

Florida...........those were the days

Wildcat

Yeah they fight.  You find them in the flats.  Beautiful fish!  We have a few in my area.  I think the best areas are from the Keys up to St Petersburg/Tampa (Oldman's stomping grounds).
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

winemakers

ah, the smut filters are at it again.  I tried to state that we fished in the Erie C-A-N-A-L in western New York.  That slow muddy 4 to 8 foot deep smudge of a creek/river/artificial conveyence..  Great carp tho.......  Any fish is better than no fish!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gizmo

In my youthful days in the midwest, we could get 50 cents from a guy for each carp we brought him.  Most people didn't like carp as they were boney and bottom feeders.  I had the fortune to taste some of his carp.  Yes, they were smoked and very good.  Definitly boney, but after the smokey flavor, you forgot about work.  Sorry I can't help on the recipe.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteAny fish is better than no fish!!!!!

Very true, having said that a bad days fishing beats a good day's working ANY time!! :D :D :D :D
Manxman

LilSmoker

Quote from: manxman on January 29, 2007, 01:46:34 AM
QuoteAny fish is better than no fish!!!!!

Very true, having said that a bad days fishing beats a good day's working ANY time!! :D :D :D :D

Very true ;)

Tiny Tim

Thanks for the info guys...I'll check the links when I have a little more time this afternoon.