Homebrewers

Started by Malc, January 12, 2007, 06:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Quote from: mws on January 16, 2007, 08:06:19 PM
Have you decided what your going to do with the spent grains Malc?
I was a little worried about what that flaked maize would do to the pretzels, as I could not find any reference to including it.  So, I didn't do anything this time.  My plan is to brew another batch as soon as these are ready to bottle.  Then I will make some pretzels.  Of course, I will post the results.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

MWS

I have an IDEA for tomorrow....................

India Dark Esspresso Ale

I'm going to indulge my hobbies...  Brew beer, smoke pulled pork and watching football.... ;D
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Consiglieri

On my end, the pork has been on for 4 hours.  Have a Czech lager or two on ice, some left over Christmas spiced, a few IPA, and a couple of brown ales on ice.  And for the panzies, some decent microbrews.

C'mon Colts!  Gonna love Sunday!
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Malc;
I know you are a fan of Samuel Adams beer. You may already know about this. I saw a commercial promoting a home brew contest. I believe this is the link to this years entry form.
http://www.samueladams.com/promotions.aspx

Just click on the image for more information. If you have a fire wall you will need to give the site permission for third party cookies, private headers, and unblock ads.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Malc

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 12, 2007, 04:49:09 AM
Malc;
I know you are a fan of Samuel Adams beer. You may already know about this. I saw a commercial promoting a home brew contest. I believe this is the link to this years entry form.
http://www.samueladams.com/promotions.aspx

Just click on the image for more information. If you have a fire wall you will need to give the site permission for third party cookies, private headers, and unblock ads.
Thanks Hab.  I had heard about it.  If these turn out okay, I was thinking of sending the bitter.  What the heck, you never know.  Everybody raved about it last time.  Almost drinking time on those.  Just getting ready to bottle the lager.  I will post results.
BTW, I think we had talked before that you were in an area that stocked all of the different varities of Sam Addams.  My local grocery store has been getting more and more of these lately.  Tried the double bock last night.  A little heavy for a session beer (believe me, I tried ;D) but quite good.  They also had the cream stout.  I didn't get it, but that is next on my list.  I made a cream stout that was well received by friends, but I have never tried a commercial one before.

Malc

Habanero Smoker

I've had the cream stout, which I like very much. Haven't tried the double bock.

Good luck with your entry!

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Malc

Update:  The ESB recipe that I posted turned out great.  Good hop flavor.  Still waiting on the lager.  I think I am going to try mws smoked porter recipe next.  I'll post the results.

Malc

Malc

Update: the lager was good, not great, but I think it needs to mature a bit.  We'll see.

I was at the local brew shop the other day, getting supplies for a vanilla porter that I am going to try.  They had hop rhizomes for sale, so I figured what the heck.  I bought three different varieties Chinook, Centenial and Cascade.  I have been reading up on the growing procedures, but was wondering if any of you have done this before.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Malc

MWS

Quote from: Malc on April 12, 2007, 05:46:05 PM
I was at the local brew shop the other day, getting supplies for a vanilla porter that I am going to try.  They had hop rhizomes for sale, so I figured what the heck.  I bought three different varieties Chinook, Centenial and Cascade.  I have been reading up on the growing procedures, but was wondering if any of you have done this before.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Oh yes, I grow hops as well. I had to remove about four varieties because they were taking over everthing in their path. I grew them up 6 foot trellis's but soon found out that they grow much taller than that. Currently, I have Nugget and Cascade. Beware Malc, they root through the ground in places not wanted. They are beautiful in the Fall though. I have the Nugget and Cascade grow up and along a cedar fence with trellising and they look great. I get a bounty of hops every September.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Consiglieri

Funny to read this post about hops.  A friend out here began growing his own hops two seasons ago, but had the foresight to plant them behind the storage building, away from the garden and away from the landscaping.

I lack the room to plant hops, but I planted peppermint (my niece calls it the mojito tree) which has been muscling in on the roses (grrr...).   Maybe I need some recipes using mint to keep it in check
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Mojito recipe is the only recipe needed. :)

I have a similar problem with mint. I didn't plant a garden last year, but last summer I was so happy when I discovered mint growing all over the place. I got my muddler out, and started making mojitos for the rest of the day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Consiglieri

Yeah, maybe you're right.  With six shelves on the DBS, I bet I could keep enough people over here long enough to get the mint in check.
Consiglieri

Malc

Quote(my niece calls it the mojito tree)
That is hilarious!!!!

Malc

Consiglieri

Malc: We're a little warped, in case there was any doubt. 
Consiglieri

Malc

Quote from: Consiglieri on April 15, 2007, 05:23:22 PM
Malc: We're a little warped, in case there was any doubt. 
I see that.

BTW, I tried my hand at a little baking using the grains from the last batch. I made some pretzels and some bread.  They turned out pretty good.  If anybody is interested, I will post the recipes I used.

Malc