Brisket temps ?

Started by PigOut, January 14, 2007, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

I seperate the flat from the cap. Trim fat and put it on the rack above everything does drip some and I think adds some mass to keep the brisket cooking slower cuz the tower gets hot slower.

Never did mustard. Mustard is good on butts to cause more rub to stick allowing a bark to form. (Icerat 4 i think does two cycles of mustard and rub on butts though i have not tried it - gives him the reentry look to his butts but lots of good bark from his posted photos) Have have used rubs in the past. A preference kind of thing on the rub with brisket IMO.

IMO the prep is less an issue with brisket than the discipline to do a low and slow cook all the way to 190 or 195 IT. Use tower temps of about 200 to 205 except maybe at the very end with IT gets to 180 or better then no hotter than 210 to 220. 

At least what I have found with my BS Briskets.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

PigOut

Thanx WCK
   How about length of smoke and cook times for an average size brisket ?
Is this an overnight thing ? Should I foil or not , And when?

Skip

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

Wildcat

Mine took about 18 hours.  I went to internal of 180 and then FTC for 4 hours.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Yep, it is long term. As WCat says 18hours not unusual. Depends some on the beast but will be in that + - range.  You will notice in this thread I cook higher IT on Brisket than many here.  So you can see where you want to go with it.  Just dont get in a hurry and cheat.  Low and slow.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

This site has good instructions on how to prepare your brisket; along with a lot of other great information.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket2.html

I use a similar type of rub that this site uses, except I don't use the paprika or mustard. I use kosher salt, and cracked pepper, and I double the granulated garlic.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

I have always use a rub in the bradley.  Currently I am using a basic BBQ rub and a Brisket rub from the chef at the Greenbrier.  The recipe was industrial quantity, I cut in half and I still have enough to last me another 5 briskets and 10 racks of ribs.  I will cut the salt quantity down next time.

There are many rub recipes on this site and the recipe site.  Biggest suggestion is to use one of them, or anything else you can find to get a base idea, then experiement.
My first starting point was Al Rokers World Famous Rib rub.  Used it a lot or should I say some variation there of.  Most of the rubs have the same set of basic ingrediants and then individualized there after with quantitys and additional variations.

I now keep a bottle of a basic seasoning around that I mix up on the fly.  I use it for just about everything and just add the variations depending on the phase of the moon, the number of solar flares from the sun divided by the number of sun spots, a yah.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MallardWacker

When it comes to BEEF and Brisket...

NO MUSTARD and a SIMPLE RUB like a an Italian Seasoning (I use Cavendar's from Wally Shack), mainly it's salt, pepper, garlic and some other spurious miscellaneous spices.  When it comes to beef I personally think simple is best, BUT HOWEVER as you will see in the coming posts there are a lot of different ideas on the subject.  Have fun....

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Wildcat

I totally agree with MW on this one. ;)

PigOut

What day is it ? Is it the weekend yet? ------shucks its only wed.!
My first brisket ! Its like a right of passage,my first beer, my first_____ butt!
I'm just gonna keep it simple and I'm positive I'll do well with all the backup I have here on this forum. Thanx guys! Ill keep you posted.

Skip

iceman

Smoke on Skip. My briskets always turned out great with just a simple seasoning. You get the full smoked beef taste that way. If they want something else on it you can add it after the smoke is done. Have fun.

PigOut

OK!

Got a 6.5# in the fridge. Any ideas on smoke and cook times? Is it big enough for an overnight smoke? It is the flat and point. Im thinkin about cutting it. 3-4 hrs smoke,10-12 hrs cook time at 200 deg. Cook to 180s then ftc.

Any thoughts ?

coyote

Hey Gizmo ,
              You're right on track...........chili does'nt have beans.  :) Hence the phrase

chili with beans...................It's all good. 8)

Let the smoke roll ,
                                                                                                Coyote

PigOut

Ok,
I robe with fresh cracked peppercorns,lil kosher salt and minced garlic. I cut the thicker point off and put that on the rack above the flat and some bacon above that. Put in the DBS at 8:00PM last night with 4 hours smoke at 200.
At 6AM the flat was at 170 .Things looked good so I boated them and continued to cook. I pulled the flat at 185 then FTC at 9:30. Ill let the point go till 195 for pullin.

Wildcat

Sounds like they cooked a little fast - should turn out fine though with the FTC.  Do you have a Maverick?  I found that my BS was cooking about 10 - 15 degrees F hotter than the door probe reflected.  Until I got the Maverick, most of my meat was a little tougher than it should have been.  Everything has been just right since I got the Maverick and cooking at the proper temp. ;D

NePaSmoKer

When i took my pic of the briskit it was @140. BS temp is holding @180 with the raptor/guru. my et73 is off by 2* with the temps but no worries. Going to ftc it around 185* for a couple hours.

nepas