Whoa look at my Butt!!!!

Started by mbird, January 14, 2007, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbird

After a couple of minor successes :), and minor disasters :-[, I decided to attempt the Boston Butt I've heard you guys talking about so much. Having had confirmation that the butt was actually a bone-in shoulder and not a pigs arse, I covered it in one of the rub recipes from Olds Place after covering it in deli mustard. After leaving in the fridge overnight I smoked the beast for 4 hours Friday evening starting at about 6:30pm, changed the water in the catch bowl and retired to bed.

It took until 11:30am Saturday to get the internal temp to 195F. My wife FTC'd it while I was at work. We eventually ate at 6:00pm, and I could not believe how warm the butt still was!

It has to be the tenderest piece of pork I have ever tasted, and the family agreed. What a meal to serve for my sons birthday dinner with all his grandparents! ;D ;D

I'd like to say huge thanks to everone who contributes their wisdom to this Forum. It is an invaluable source of information for those just starting out on their smoking careers! Cheers Guys!!!!!! ;D ;D

Mark

LilSmoker

Hi there, i'm pleased your pork turned out so good, especially on your sons birthday ;)

I must admit that i'm getting quite addicted to pulled pork, so the butt/shoulder is a regular at my place.

I've now gotten into a routine when i do butts, i start smoking them around 4 hours before i want to go to bed, at bedtime i change the water, lights out, and off to bed, and usually by time i wake it's just about ready to FTC, and what a lovely smell to wake up to!

Anyway glad you had success  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Yeah, warm butts are nice.  Congrats on the smoke.  I have not smoked one in the BS yet, but will soon.  My wife usually chooses beef or chicken over pork, but she has never tasted a good smoked one yet.  Never fear, I will convert her soon. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Congrats on the butt Mbird.  Excellent choice and good timing on the Bday selection.
Wildcat:  It is a fun thing to convert someone on a food.  Had a neighbor that would not touch pork.  Had ribs one night and knowing she did not eat pork, I smoke a chicken for her.  Her husband somehow got her to try the ribs, she has enjoyed them ever since. :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Dont know how true it is = pork the other white meat = but many people still feel like chicken / fish is the healthy way to go over beef and shy away from pork for reasons I dont understand.  Is this really a taste thing or still a sterotype thing that people dont go for pork (Pigs = Fat or something). My sons wife (was) all about Chicken but has slowly come around now. Good Deal MBIRD on the Butts, certain to become a favorite.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Larry,
Put the smoke on in the Bradley (4 hours or what ever is needed) and then finish in the oven.  After the smoke, the Bradley is just an oven....so if you need an oven and the BS doesn't cut in the cold, use the one inside ;) ;)  You could also move the BS into the garage or into the house....See Owrstrich's appartment/hotel setup.. ;D

Welcome
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Larry Hough on January 14, 2007, 09:43:53 PM
I have cooked several pork butts in the bradley smokerduring the warm weather.  We live in the cold climate and have not had very good experiences with the Bradley smoker during the winter.  I am not a expert in smoking during the winter.  Is ther any good ways to get the temps up on cold days.  ANy helpful ideas would be appreciated.
Larry
Hi Larry;
Welcome to the boards.

Where are you from? Since joining this board I've learned that a cold climate is a relative word. :) I live in a cold climate, New York, but if you see some of the post from members in Alaska and Canada; New York no longer seems that cold. Especially since the last two years the weather has been unseasonably warm for New York winters. So I have only been able to test the BS in the low 20's. It takes longer for the BS to get up to temperature during preheating and after loading, but after that my BS keeps a steady temperature.

There is no reason you cannot use the oven. If you can't use your oven or don't want to use it, here are some suggestions and tricks I've learned off this board. Put a brick in the BS prior to preheating and leave it there. A brick fits nicely next to the water bowl. The brick helps the BS recovery faster after it has been opened. Preheat to 25°F - 50°F higher than the temperature you are planning to smoke/cook at; because you will loose about 25-50% of your heat during the time you are loading. Once loaded, don't open the smoker unless absolutely necessary. When ever possible, adjust the vent to the smallest opening, but make sure there is no smoke backing out of the generator.  If it is a sunny day, place the BS in a location so it will get maximum sunlight. Keep it out of the wind.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Hab just about said it all. Wind is a bad guy so keep it sheltered if possible. Bricks work great. If you have room you can preheat inside, load it then take it out. This only works if you have it on some type of cart though. BTW the water bowl goes in after all the moves. :D I have all my smokers on wheels so preheating goes quicker when it's zero out. Then I just roll it out of the garage onto the side deck and start the smoke. :)
Not all of us are as lucky as Old's and them fair weathers dudes!!! ;D
Cold smoking. No problem. Just crank the heat up just enough to keep the meat from freezing! Ha!!! :D
Have fun Larry

West Coast Kansan

Greetings Larry, someone here posted on using a hot water heater blanket as a wrap to insulate the tower on a cold night.  Cant find the post any longer. 

Dont cover / block the vents on the generator however it is the inlet for air allowing the smoker to breath. 

Much fun ahead

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

ke4d

Smoked my first butt day before yesterday.  I smoked an 8 lb butt, cut in half for about six hours. Internal temp up to about 165f so we were sure it was done. Great dinner and the left over slices will be great sandwiches.  I've done three smokes in the last week or so and all have turned out great.  Now we are going to get more creative and try some homemade rubs and sauces.  I think ribs are next and then a brisket. After all, I am in Texas for a while!

John
San Benito, TX
www.TheRollingHome.com

Arcs_n_Sparks

ke4d,

165 sounds on the cool side, before everything starts breaking down...

Glad everyone was happy with it.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Wildcat

Congrats on the good start fellow RV'ers.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/