1st baby back ribs

Started by sgaberdeen, January 17, 2007, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgaberdeen

Just did my first Bradley baby back ribs and OH MY GOD. Family scoffed em down in minutes. I have to say it just keeps gettin better. I also have a boston butt going in the smoker should be done around midnite for tomorrows pig eatin pleasure. If anyone's interested heres the recipie I used.Apple City Baby Back Ribs and Sauce

CIDER SOAK
1 1/2 cups apple cider or juice
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 onion, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 pounds baby back ribs

APPLE RIB RUB:
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme

APPLE RIB MOP (optional)
1 1/2 cups apple cider or juice
1/2 cup cider vinegar
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

APPLE CITY SAUCE:
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, minced
2 1/2 cups apple juice or cider
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

The night before you plan to barbecue, combine the soak ingredients in a large lidded jar. Place the slabs or ribs in a plastic bag or shallow dish and pour the marinade over the ribs. Refrigerate them overnight. Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 200-210. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator and drain them, discarding the marinade. In a bowl, mix together the dry rub ingredients and pat the ribs with the mixture. Let the ribs sit at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes. If you plan to baste the meat, mix together the cider, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a saucepan. Warm over low heat.

Transfer the meat to the smoker. Cook the ribs for approximately 5 hours, giving them and apple juice spritz about every hour or so. About 45 minutes before the ribs are done, brush them with Apple City Sauce and repeat the step shortly before you remove the meat from the smoker. When the slabs are ready, the meat will bend easily between the ribs, and the sauce will be gooey and sticky and caramelized in spots. Allow the slabs to sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing them into individual ribs. Serve with more sauce on the side.

The Sauce: In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for a couple of minutes, until onion is softened. Mix in the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and cook the mixture until it reduces by about one-quarter, approximately 30 minutes. Stir frequently. Serve the sauce warm.

Enjoy
                                                              Gary

LilSmoker

Hi there, great post!, i will definately give your recipe a try, ribs are a firm favourite at my place, everybody is always in anticipation when i'm doing ribs.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, hope the pork turns out nice for you  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Congrats and nicely done.  When you get a chance, you should try Iceman's Sauce.  Will not be sweet, but will have a mellow kick to them.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

mbird

Nice recipe! ;D ;D

I tried the ribs on my family and they were fantastic. 3lb ribs between 2 adults and 2 kids gone in ten minutes flat! The apple city sauce is also great with sausages etc (I had some left over!).

This is definatley a cut-out-and-keep recipe, thanks Gary

Cheers

Mark