1st Jerky and it was great

Started by Louisiana BBQ, August 22, 2004, 11:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louisiana BBQ

I made my first jerky today.  Took 4 1/2 lbs of botttom round and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide.  I used Hi Mountain Wild Goose original cure and seasoning.  I let it sit for 24 hrs.  then put on smoker with 3 hours 20 minutes of smoke (hickory).  Kept temp about 180-190 the entire time.  Total cook time 4 hours.  Got a little over 2 lbs of complete jerky.  It can out great....I cannot wait till my next batch.  I figured it came uot to about 9-10 dollars a pound with everything included.

Dwayne

Dwayne
[email protected]

jaeger

Good Job Dwayne!!!
 You have just touched the tip of the iceberg for jerky, not even counting the other things you can do with the Bradley. Another jerky that is kind of fun to make is a chopped and formed where you use a lean ground beef (or any meat). I prefer to grind my own, and you can usually find something on sale which would save a few bucks. You might need to use another premix seasoning or you can find a recipe which you can doctor up to your own preference. (I always like to add a little mustard seed also). I think the Hi Mountain that you used is intended for a whole muscle jerky like you made. For chopped and formed I picked up a jerky cannon that basically is like a caulk gun. I also picked up a plastic "thing" that I use to pack the meat in the cannon to get the air out while I am filling it. A local commercial locker in my area makes a turkey jerky that my neighbor and I are going to try to replicate. It seems to have a brown sugar baste on it.
Smoke On!!![:)][:D][8D]