Kummoks hot smoked salmon

Started by Dalby Spook, February 04, 2007, 09:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

As a lifelong believer that to do anything other than cold smoke a salmon should be punishable by firing squad, I was amazed how Kummoks hot version turned out. Without doubt it is the best thing I have pulled out of the BS so far. Strong smoke flavour. Slight sweetness underneath. Moist. Almost as good as a local Kipper!!

I cocked up the brine as I made 1/2 gallon as it was a smallish fish (7lb) but used the full measure of salt in error. I pulled it out of soak after 6 hours rather than 12 in case it was over salty. Tasted great to me.

Anyone out there have any recipes to use on it?
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

manxman

QuoteAs a lifelong believer that to do anything other than cold smoke a salmon should be punishable by firing squad, I was amazed how Kummoks hot version turned out.

Hi DS, totally agree with you and I have done Kummock's hot smoked salmon quite a few times now. Typically I just eat it with a small blob of butter melted over the top and some black pepper together with new potatoes and vegetables. (one favourite = asparagus tips)

I normally end up with a couple of broken up fillets and I just flake them and have found a couple of recipes to use these flakes for, one is:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2018.0

I also use them cold in salads.

Was the salmon locally caught?

Manxman

LilSmoker

I've always loved cold smoked salmon for as long as i can remember, but since joining here, i regulaly do hot smoked salmon either to Kummoks recipe or TomG's, and done either way, i can't get enough of it.

It's certainly one of my favourites done with the BS.

I always serve it with new potatoes and salad, or vegetables, or if i'm really hungry and need a salmon fix i have it on it's own with bread and butter, and a good dusting of black pepper.  ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Dalby Spook

Manx, the fish was a Tesco special offer. Thanks for the ideas. I,ve put a big baked potato on and I'm going to scoop out the inside,  flake the fish and mix with potato flesh and sour cream then pack it back in the skins. Brown under grill.
A. Einstien

manxman

QuoteManx, the fish was a Tesco special offer. Thanks for the ideas. I,ve put a big baked potato on and I'm going to scoop out the inside,  flake the fish and mix with potato flesh and sour cream then pack it back in the skins. Brown under grill.

Must have missed that one, I was in Tesco this morning but nothing took my fancy on the fish counter.

The baked potato idea sound good, I have done a similar thing with pasta and that worked well.  :)
Manxman

Dalby Spook

Bought the fish a few weeks ago and froze it.  Just eaten the spud. Well good. Wife & mother-outlaw had it flaked with a green salad. Big thumbs up. Might be in her Will yet!

Different subject. Bought a used vacuum sealer off ebay for 20 quid. Does job ok but still leaves a bit of air in. How much do you have to spend for a good 'un.
A. Einstien

LilSmoker

QuoteWife & mother-outlaw had it flaked with a green salad. Big thumbs up. Might be in her Will yet!

Haha! i like it  ;D ;)

QuoteHow much do you have to spend for a good 'un.

Well you can get a Foodsaver from about £75 upwards now (u.k.) depending on which stockist. But this link shows the more typical prices, i think Manx has the 550? and i have the 475 both very good machines, with powerfull pumps.

http://www.erlebnisladen.de/cgi-bin/tvshoppinguk/iboshop.cgi?show600,

Very handy peice of kit  ;)

manxman

QuoteMight be in her Will yet!

Haha!

Quotei think Manx has the 550?

Yes, I have the FoodSaver 550 and like it, as far as I am aware it is just a little wider than the 475 and hence takes slightly bigger bags.

Think Empire Direct sell FoodSaver vacuum sealers (about £80) whilst I got mine from BestTV. I haven't seen the 550 advertised for a while, only the 475.

Culinary Innovations sell some good ones (slightly more expensive at around £140) and they are the best website I have found for buying bags that I have found to date, both in price and choice of sizes. Their bags work with the FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers.

Hope this helps.  :)
Manxman

LilSmoker

Hi Manx, the 550 and 475  use the same 280 mm max width rolls, i think the 475 is just a little more compact?

As far as i know the internals are also the same, i originaly wanted the 550, but was out of stock.
However i'm very pleased with the 475  ;)

Kummok

Other than just "mouth-blending" it with a good stout or porter, I especially like to use the smoked salmon in this recipe... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3864.0  It's soooo danged easy and soooo danged good, it almost seems like a felony! Another really good use is in a fish chowder. I'm down in America at the moment and Bradley-less, but hugging the grandkids here keeps me from thinking too about the smoking duties awaiting me back home right now!

Gizmo

You guys got to stop talking about the salmon.  I haven't been able to pick up a wild one since the football season started and I believe they are not in season right now so not available in the seafood road show.

Kummoks Hot Smoke Salsom rocks.  Maked a great snack on opening day.  I might have to break down and buy off the farm.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

tsquared

Just polished off a bowl of smoked salmon chowder for lunch. Good comfort food as I'm home with the flu. (And just to twist the knife a little Gizmo, I caught it just before New Years!)
T2

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo,  Henery's Market. 76 Hiway and College in O'side.  Gotta watch the labeling but they get wild pacific salmon still once in a while.  Bought some at holidays and bought the last they had last night.  They still have atlantic in whole fish form. --- farm raised yuk all over so but Henry's has them.

You go to Romona and get me a buffalo and Ill grab a salmon and we can meet in Escondido to trade?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Trade nothing, lets get together and eat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

nodak

Save your money on the buffalo and buy some prime beef, Or if you want lean buy laura's lean you will thank me for it.  Beef has better taste and it tastes great straight.  Most buffalo are now fed grain to get them fat and tenderness to it.  So there goes that natural like the natives ate.  If grass fed are older when finished and will be tougher.

BEEF IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!