Help - Whole Brisket

Started by bbq wannabe, January 22, 2007, 06:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbq wannabe

Has anyone tried to smoke a whole brisket in the DBS? (Both the flat and point). Since the rack space is limited, do I cut the brisket in half before smoking?

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I have only done the flat.  Others on here have done the whole thing and I think they did divide it.  Even when I did the flat, I divided it into 2 racks.  One for the thicker piece and one for the thinner piece.  This method allowed me to get them both done at the same time. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

when i get a gaint butcher pack whole brisket i cut off the deckle from the flat and trim fat to almost nothing and smoke them on sperate racks...

as for the size of the flat... i put the whole flat on 1 rack and arch it in the middle... the edges will rest at the edge of the rack and the arch will be so high you have to skip the next rack up... it will shrink so its flat on the rack after several hours in the box...

gotta make sure the beast doesnt touch the sides of the box...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

iceman

O pretty much sumed it up. ;D Just remember that the consumption of cold ones is in direct proportion to the amount of shrinkage the beast gets. :D ;D

coyote

Hey Iceman ,
           Did you HAVEto mention SHRINKAGE :o ? It's kinda cool here tonight.

Coyote

tsquared

I've done a whole one by putting one rack at an angle, sitting on another rack with the leaning rack's end against the smoker wall. That gave me enough room to do the whole thing at once. Seemed to work OK.
T2

iceman

Quote from: coyote on January 22, 2007, 07:38:07 PM
Hey Iceman ,
           Did you HAVEto mention SHRINKAGE :o ? It's kinda cool here tonight.

Coyote
15 degrees F. in Wasilla, Alaska and snowing again. Going to break the record I'm afraid. I'm getting tired of this shoveling thing. It's really putting a kink in my toddy time after work. :D ::) ;)

coyote

Iceman ,
         I feel your pain my brother of the cool smoke 8)

Coyote
In sub zero temps.
Less butter...more rum

Gizmo

I have only smoked whole packers so far.  I split the flat from the point and fat cap or somewhere there about.  The point and fat cap (fat trimmed to 1/4 inch thick) goes on the upper rack and the flat underneath.  This allows the good flavorings to drip down onto the flat and add to its character.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Quote from: coyote on January 23, 2007, 08:20:23 PM
Iceman ,
         I feel your pain my brother of the cool smoke 8)

Coyote
In sub zero temps.
Less butter...more rum
The Ron brothers. Bacardi and Rico Ye Ha!!! Hot buttered rums for all!!! More rum Please!!! :D ;D

iceman

Quote from: Gizmo on January 23, 2007, 09:04:21 PM
I have only smoked whole packers so far.  I split the flat from the point and fat cap or somewhere there about.  The point and fat cap (fat trimmed to 1/4 inch thick) goes on the upper rack and the flat underneath.  This allows the good flavorings to drip down onto the flat and add to its character.
Gizmo, you're right on the mark with that. ;) Works for me every time. :)

bbq wannabe

Thanks for all the good suggestions - I'm firing up the Ol'Girl now!..........

coyote

Be nice to her BBQwannabe and she'll be nice to you  :)
                                                                           Coyote