Brunswick Stew

Started by SmokinScott, January 28, 2007, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinScott

Hey guys i just Smoked a Turkey This past weekend and had some left overs any body got a good recipe for brunswick stew.

Wildcat

Wish I did, or at least the kind I find in North Georgia and Tennessee area.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Don't believe I have ever had it with poultry (I at least know I have never made it, I think LOL).  Seems like I might have eaten it as a kid with squirrel or rabbit.  A few weeks back, I did throw some left over turkey and smoked chicken in for a soup.  The tough skin (and other less editable parts/ carcass) from the smoker helps flavor a good broth. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

coyote

Boy's.............Now that's good ole W.Va. pot liquar MMMmmmmmmm

Coyote 8)

Gizmo

FYI, I did see a quite a few search results on OOGLE for Brunswick stew if you are interested. 

I was wondering how long it would take to boil down the bowling balls before they were editable?  Does the 10LBers take just as long at the 16LBers? :D  Do you have to stick with Brunswick?  If I am not into bowling, can I substitue some of the NIKE balls Tiger hit into the rough this weekend?  They shouldn't take as long.  The OWRSTRICH eggs down the street look like they are way to tough to toss into stew, so I think that is why they stuck with the Brunswick line. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

chuck steak

Quote from: SmokinScott on January 28, 2007, 05:43:57 PM
Hey guys i just Smoked a Turkey This past weekend and had some left overs any body got a good recipe for brunswick stew.
One that's basic is:
5 pounds ground boneless, skinless chicken
5 pounds ground chuck
5 pounds hickory smoked pork, cut into medium dice
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup
2 (16-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (16-ounce) cans corn
1/2 cup hot red pepper sauce, or more, to taste
Salt

In a large stockpot, cook chicken and beef for 1 hour. Add hickory smoked pork. Add finely chopped onion. Add ketchup, diced tomatoes, corn, and hot sauce. Add salt as needed. Cook on low heat for 1 hour.

One thats made with chix:
1 (2 1/2-pound) fryer chicken
Water
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar
1 (16-ounce) can creamed corn
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke, available in grocery store
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
Celery salt
Cooked rice, as accompaniment

In a large pot, place the chicken and enough water to cover chicken and bring to a boil. Cook chicken until meat falls off the bone, approximately 45 minutes. Drain the chicken and reserve 2 cups of stock. Remove the skin and bones and chop meat.
In a separate pot, mix the chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add a little bit of the stock if the stew becomes too thick. Serve stew over steamed rice.

Here is the one I use when I have the time.

Recipe from Spanky's Seafood Grill & Bar

First the sauce:
In a 2 quart sauce pan, over low heat, melt ¼ cup of butter then add:
1¾ cups Catsup
¼ cup French's Yellow Mustard
¼ cup white vinegar

Blend until smooth, then add:
½ tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ oz. Liquid Smoke
1 oz. Worcestershire Sauce
1 oz. Crystal Hot Sauce or ½ oz. Tabasco
½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Blend until smooth, then add:
¼ cup dark brown sugar
Stir constantly, increase heat to simmer (DO NOT BOIL) for approx. 10 minutes.
Makes approx. 3½ cups of sauce (set aside - to be added later).

Then The Stew:
In a 2 gallon pot, over low heat melt ¼ lb of butter then add:
3 cups small diced potatoes
1 cup small diced onion
2  14½ oz. cans of chicken broth
1 lb baked chicken (white and dark)
8-10 oz. smoked pork

Bring to a rolling boil, stirring until potatoes are near done, then add:
1 8½ oz. can early peas
2   14½ oz. cans stewed tomatoes - (chop tomatoes, add liquid to the stew pot)
The prepared sauce
1 16 oz. can of baby lima beans
¼ cup Liquid Smoke
1  14½ oz. can creamed corn
Slow simmer for 2 hours

Yields 1 gallon

Wildcat

Where do you hail from chuck steak?  I love Brunswick Stew and have had many variations of it.  My favorite is generally found in the Georgia, N & S Carolina, and Tennessee area.  Do not know how to replicate it though.

chuck steak

WC, I'm an old Ga. cracker. < for thoes who don't know, Ga crackers was the name of the Atlanta Braves Baseball Team B4 being called braves> I would hate for folks to get the wrong Idea. I'm so dammed country I make Larry the Cable guy look like Ben Aflack.  :D :D :D

Wildcat

:D  ;D I was born in Miami, FL, moved with parents to a farm near Elberton, GA (NE of Athens) when I was about 10.  Joined the military and eventually wound up here in the Florida Panhandle.

The stew I like is completely cooked down or shredded/blended.  I know it has at least 3 kinds of meat, corn, potatoes, and tomatoes but that is all I know as no one will share their recipe.  I found some south of Atlanta off of I-85 (around Newnan) and of course in Elberton, a couple of places in the Carolina's and in Tennessee.

West Coast Kansan

I would hate for folks to get the wrong Idea. I'm so dammed country I make Larry the Cable guy look like Ben Aflack.    

:D  :D  :D Great line!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

chuck steak

Quote from: Wildcat on June 14, 2007, 04:49:26 PM
:D  ;D I was born in Miami, FL, moved with parents to a farm near Elberton, GA (NE of Athens) when I was about 10.  Joined the military and eventually wound up here in the Florida Panhandle.

The stew I like is completely cooked down or shredded/blended.  I know it has at least 3 kinds of meat, corn, potatoes, and tomatoes but that is all I know as no one will share their recipe.  I found some south of Atlanta off of I-85 (around Newnan) and of course in Elberton, a couple of places in the Carolina's and in Tennessee.
thats it WCat, a starter is oakra corn and tomatoes,( a stable food in the south, canned all summer in the old dazs) with chix.beef and pork that has been smoked or grilled ( now we all know not to use meat that has BBQ sauce on it) addd chix broth and a little milk with flour in it toward the end to thick'n it up a bit. The linch pin is low heat as the meat is already cooked. I say that because most scorch (sp, burn) it first few tries
now that the basic idea, add onion or onion powder, salt & pepper as you like. most play with the recipe to make it their own. (ie) leave out oakra and add potatoes or add hot peppers, you get the idea. Some add worstershire sauce. keptchup, mustard. Takes a while to find yur own best flavor

Wildcat

Thanks, that sounds about right.  When I give it a go I will leave the okra out.  Avacado, okra, and anchovies is about the only things that my stomach objects violently to.

La Quinta

Chuck Steak...I'm from Daytona Beach and that recipe is almost exactly what my brother and I used to make at his hunting camp in Osteen, FL.! It's fabulous!