Major's Whiskey Brine for Salmon Recipe

Started by xMAJORx, January 29, 2007, 01:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xMAJORx

I just started smoking a few weeks ago, and along with smoking i've been experimenting with different brines for smoked salmon.

First of all, thanks to everyone on this board that has helped be prepare great food.

My Whiskey brine has a very subtle flavor of whiskey but is quite sweet. Here ya go:

1 part cold water.
1 part apple cider (or juice, I llike treetop myself).
1 part tariyaki sauce.
1 part brown sugar.
1 1/4 cup kosher or pickling salt per quart of brine.
1 shot of whiskey per quart of brine (you can do 2 per quart if really like the whiskey flavor, but 1 one did my buds just fine).

Soak and glaze just like any other brine.  The glazing process is speed up a little because of the alcohol.

Enjoy, and thanks again!

Thunder Fish

I have used something like your brine on grouse(in the oven).No Terriyaki and more whiskey,they come out GREAT!I bake a bit with the jug,I might start to smoke with it now too ::)

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

xMAJORx,
You didn't mention how much Whiskey to put in the brine, just how many shots to take (per quart) when making the brine.   ::)  Now if your doing 2 shots per quart of brine, there must be a limit of how much brine you can make before you pass out.  Sounds like your recipe should have a warning label to not attempt to make over 4 quarts of brine before taking a break.

NEW MAD SLOAGAN:  Don't brine and drive! ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

xMAJORx

You didn't mention how much Whiskey to put in the brine, just how many shots to take (per quart) when making the brine.

I just use a regular shot glass, i guess it's about a quarter cup.  I made jack Daniels ice cream one time, the recipe called for 2 shots and I used 4.  I've learned my lesson, add the whiskey for it's flavor not it's alcohol content.

And add the whiskey last, so you can cover the brine before it begins to evaporate.