Chuck Roll

Started by David6340, August 24, 2004, 06:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

Picked up a 15 lb Chuck Roll at Sam's today. It was the smallest one they had.  If you havn't tried one you don't know what your missing. It's a nice change from doing Pork Butts all the time. It's the same cut as a Pork Butt, only it's <font color="blue"><b>beef</b></font id="blue">.   You've got to ask the butcher for it as they usually don't have them out. At my Sam's, if you ask for one they always have them in the cooler. Going to use the #1 Texas BBQ Rub on this one. I'll smoke at 225 - 250 and take it to an internal temp of at least 165, then wrap in foil and return to the BS until it reaches 190 - 195 for pulling.

MallardWacker

Hmmmmmm-Really,
Thats sound very interesting, I'l have to ask my Sams about that.  Thanks for the info in something different.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

Pulled beef, sounds like a very interesting experiment[:)]
If memory serves, a butt will have a small bone from the blade, so then is this an alternate use to the blade steak area[?]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

David6340

White, I'm not a butcher, but this is how I would describe a chuck roll.  When i looked at the chuck roll from the side it has a layer of meat on top then a thick fat layer, and in the middle is ( what i think we know as chuck roast). IMO the chuck roll(boneless blade roast) is the whole deal uncut. I think a chuck roast is around 3-5lbs. The <font color="blue">chuck roll </font id="blue">is much larger and is boneless. I think the chuck roll is more moist than the butts. chuck roll= boneless blade roast=chuck roast.
Here is a chart that I found. I think it's from Australia but it shows the chuck roll.
http://host79.ipowerweb.com/~virtualw/charts/beef.pdf

MallardWacker

David,

Excelent chart, great information.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Mando

Sound good, gonna give it a try. Right now I have to pork loins curing with buckboard bacon cure. I will smoke it next Wednesday. I hpoe it come out ok.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by David6340</i>
<br />Chuck Roll<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's what I told my buddy Chuck to do after we were smokin' & drinkin' all day and his clothes caught fire.[:D]

OK, that's bad.[:I]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?