Popcorn Anyone?

Started by MWS, January 29, 2007, 03:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I love good popcorn done right and thought I would try this combination.......

Recently I tried smoking salt with Hickory.

It turned out really good, so I thought I would try it on some popcorn.
I make popcorn using one of these Whirly Pops things on the stove top. This thing makes great popcorn the old fashioned way.
My favourite popcorn

To make the hickory salt, I just put a thin layer of course salt on a shallow tray and placed it in the smoker for about 40 minutes. It's a great addition to popcorn IMHO. Sometimes I sprinkle some 'Wild Willy's' rub on as well.

Thought I'd pass this along for any other popcorn fans. Cheers

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Wildcat

Interesting.  I may have to give that a try one day. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hey mws, that sounds like it would work very well, lately i've been munching on smoked cashews, too many in fact!, so the popcorn will make a nice change.

Thanks.......LilSmoker ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

coyote

Hey MWS , I bought on of those poppers at a Cracker Barrel years ago for the cabin.....and 'til now ???
I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for jarrin' my memory and for the new twist on popped corn.

Thanks my smokin' friend ,
                                                                                Coyote

Gizmo

MWS,
Have you compared your home smoke salt to the commercial Old Hickory Smoked Salt?  Was wondering how the store bought compared and if it was worth the time doing your own (other than for experience or bragging rights both of which are noble causes).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I love popcorn also, but my salt has to be real fine. I still have some hickory salt that I smoked some time ago. I'm going to put some in my small food chopper/grinder, grind it to a fine consistency and try some on popcorn.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MWS

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 30, 2007, 03:06:15 AM
I love popcorn also, but my salt has to be real fine.

I should of added, I used 'Himalayan Pink Crystal salt'. It's a course salt that after I smoked it, I placed it in my salt mill to fine gind it. I like the pink salt because it has a milder salt flavour.

My wife commented the other day that I'm so particular.....I said, your right...that's why I married you....... :D
Major points scored....... ;D ;)

Quote from: Gizmo on January 29, 2007, 09:48:45 PM
MWS,
Have you compared your home smoke salt to the commercial Old Hickory Smoked Salt?  Was wondering how the store bought compared and if it was worth the time doing your own (other than for experience or bragging rights both of which are noble causes).

Ive never had commercial hickory salt.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

iceman

Darn good idea mws. I have a few jars of hickory smoked salt left to use up and I have the same popcorn. I love to munch on that stuff! I've been using all the different hulless types. Fun to make and the aroma in the house makes you drool!

MallardWacker

WHITE POPCORN, done in a pan with real butta on top and sea salt!  If you have not used white, you are missing something.  Plus the hulls don't get stuck as bad in the grill.  You have to look for it, Wally Mart does not carry it but you can normally find it Kroger's.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: MallardWacker on February 06, 2007, 05:20:03 PM
WHITE POPCORN, done in a pan with real butta on top and sea salt!  If you have not used white, you are missing something.  Plus the hulls don't get stuck as bad in the grill.  You have to look for it, Wally Mart does not carry it but you can normally find it Kroger's.

Try adding some several drops of Tabasco sauce after the butter has melted. The Tabasco will start to burn before the popcorn is finished, but it doesn't give the popcorn a burnt taste. I guess you can wait until you hear that first kernel pop then quickly add the sauce, that may prevent the sauce from burning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Before I got married a girl invited me over for dinner, after dinner she proceeded to make popcorn then put Soy Sauce on it...there are some things that should never meet and popcorn and soy sauce are two of them.

Tabaso...hummm I might try a small batch of that...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Malc

I used to work at a movie theatre all through high school and college.  I have never been able to get that flavor at home.  I have even tried using supplies from the theatre.  I also have one of those poppers pictured above.  I wonder if it has to do with the heat involved with the popper.  That thing used to turn out some serious volume very quickly.  I wonder if my wife would let me buy one of those theatre sized poppers.  There really is no substitute.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

nodak

Yeah malc,  I also remember popcorn at games in high school and got better every game as the popper seasoned more,  when it was thoroughly cleaned after season it took awhile to get that taste back.

MallardWacker

Have you ever tried to pop some in Coconut Oil...I know the food police don't like it but everything in moderation...I have heard that will add a nostalgic type flavor to it.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 07, 2007, 02:24:57 AM
Quote from: MallardWacker on February 06, 2007, 05:20:03 PM

Try adding some several drops of Tabasco sauce after the butter has melted. The Tabasco will start to burn before the popcorn is finished, but it doesn't give the popcorn a burnt taste. I guess you can wait until you hear that first kernel pop then quickly add the sauce, that may prevent the sauce from burning.
Hab, I found tabasco powder in a spice catalog that works real good on popcorn. Just sprinkle it on right after it pops along with a bit of salt and BAM!!! :D ;D