Cold Smoked Salmon, Can Ya Eat It?

Started by BurntFork Ken, February 02, 2007, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurntFork Ken

Neither of the fellows from work who tried my cold smoked salmon (lox) this morning have called to report their early demise, so I guess it was OK.

I cured 3 good sized, previously frozen Atalantic fillets overnight in kosher salt, brown sugar, and dill.  Took them out the next day, drained off the puddle of liquid that was drawn out, rinsed them off, and set them to dry by an open window with a nice cool breeze.  Nice pellicle formed, then into the OBS on the top rack with a big bowl of ice underneath.  Smoke only, with generator still attached, for 4 1/2 hours and never climbing over 80 F.

'Spose they're safe, am I just using my mates as Guinea Pigs?

Laying low 'til I know,
Ken

Wildcat

I do not know enough about cold smoking, and especially when it comes to fish to answer the safe question. ???

Guinea Pigs are nice to have - good sounding board! ::)

You may want to call the Guinea Pigs and ask if they want some more.  If they do, then you know it was a hit. ;)  If they do not - well what can I say. :o
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

Lox has been made in a similar fashion by a lot of people for a lot of years now, providing you pay good attention to basic food hygiene at all stages of the process I am sure you won't have a problem.  ;)

Wish I was one of those guinea pigs!!  ;D  ......... and thats wot mates are for!! ;D
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on February 02, 2007, 02:27:21 PM
Lox has been made in a similar fashion by a lot of people for a lot of years now, providing you pay good attention to basic food hygiene at all stages of the process I am sure you won't have a problem.  ;)

Wish I was one of those guinea pigs!!  ;D  ......... and thats wot mates are for!! ;D

I agree. I've made loxs a couple of times using SpyGuy's recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

yep you can eat it --- but not just a little. It definitly will expand your lunch.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

your lox would taste good right now on some ritz crackers and a cold irish stout........ hmmmmm

nepas