Not enough smoke flavor

Started by TxSmoker, February 02, 2007, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxSmoker

I have done a couple of turkeys in the BS and a few in previous smokers. My main complaint is that the smoke flavor does not get to the interior of the bird. Tastes great about halfway to the carcase but then no smoke flavor the rest of the way. I thought maybe once I got the BS it would be different, but I got the same results. There is a place locally that sells turkeys that are much sought after and they have smoke flavor to the bone. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking maybe a lower cook temp for longer?
Thanks for any suggestions, Steve

West Coast Kansan

That is an idea, hard to say without any idea of what it is you are doing. ??? Take Care,  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Steve;
Welcome to the forum.

Poultry generally picks up a lot of smoke flavor. When I smoke whole poultry, I make sure that the cavity stays  as far open as possible. With turkeys you may have to tie the legs loosely, to make sure that the whole bird fits on the tray. This allows more smoke the enter the cavity, thus you are applying smoke both from the outside and inside.

As WCK states; if you provide more information. How long you applied smoke? What type of smoke did you use? Did you use a brine? The total smoking/cooking time. Preparation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TxSmoker

I smoked the entire time which was slightly more than 8 hrs. Since then I have read that I really don't need to smoke the entire time. I used Hickory. I did not use a brine. As far as preperation, I really didn't do anything, just rinsed the bird and put it in, leaving the legs tied.  I have been reading up on brines and will use one next time.
Thanks for your help, I hope to get this figured out! Steve

Oldman

If possible see if you can find throne and do the bird vertical

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

LilSmoker

QuoteI did not use a brine. As far as preperation, I really didn't do anything, just rinsed the bird and put it in, leaving the legs tied.

Hi, just thinking out loud here but whenever i do turkey, usually a crown, i always brine them, and they have a good smokey flavour right to the bone, i did a couple to add with the xmas feast and everybody commented on how tasty they were, very moist also.
I've also done whole turkey up to a weight of 10lb and they also had good smoke falavour and moisture.

So maybe brinning is the solution?, whenever i've done whole birds, i sit them upright as Olds has suggested, which ensures the smoke travels up the birds a**! and into the cavity :-[ anyway this definately does the job.
Turkey crowns are obviously easier to get the flavour in, because there is no back to them.

I've even noticed a lot of difference between brined and unbrined chickens.

I usually brine turkey overnight, or at least 1 hour per lb

Regards............LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Tiny Tim

Here's my 2 cents on the subject.  My first smoke was a bone in turkey breast.  I didn't brine it or anything, just put er in and let it smoke.  It didn't have the flavor that I always associated with smoked turkey, and I'm thinking that it was because it didn't spend time in a brine, or get pumped full of stuff.