Thanks Bob

Started by topgator, February 02, 2007, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topgator

I just got my new smoker that I won on The Price is Right (Thanks Bob and Bradley!!).  It has just made its way out of the box and looks awesome!  I've never used one before and you all seem like experts so I'm just going to follow along and see if I can catch a post I understand  ;) I'm looking for something good for the big Sunday Showdown.  Any suggestions as for what my inaugural meal should be?

Arcs_n_Sparks

topgator,

Welcome and congratulations. Season that baby up and start with something simple. I personally like pork butts, but that will take 8-12 hours or more, depending upon size. Others will be weighing in......

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Welcome topgator, that's a great win.  Might try some chicken. Does not take long and really pulls in smoke flavor. Might want to smoke light the first few times and adjust for your taste.

Lots of exploring and learning to do on the forum.  Great place to start.  Welcome again.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome topgator, congrats on your win. You could do a brined turkey crown, very simple to do, and tastes delicious.
This will also feed quite a few, good luck with the maiden voyage..........LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

You may want to check out the recipe site.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

At the site, make sure you read these two articles first.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160

Don't wait until the big game. After seasoning, try smoking some chicken parts just to get a feel of the smoker, and to make sure everything is working fine. When smoking chicken with skin on, keep your vent about half open to make sure the moisture does not build up inside the cabinet.

If you don't have a meat probe, you should get one as soon as possible. The Maverick ET-73 is a favorite of many on this forum, but since you do have the digital a single probe model will do you fine. An instant read thermometer is also a handy thing to have around.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

topgator

This is great- thanks for all of the suggestions!  She's seasoning right now.  What is the purpose of "FTC"?  I read that after you smoke whole chickens you wrap them in foil then a towel and put it in a cooler?  Why not just eat it?? 

Habanero Smoker

Some FTC chicken, I don't. FTC is good for cuts that have a lot of connective tissue that needs to be broken done, but it is not necessary for poultry. If the poultry has skin on it, FTCing makes the texture of the skin worse, and may cause the meat to over cook. I generally loosely tent it for 10-20 minutes, then serve.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I concur with all of the above.  Welcome to the forum and congradulations on the win.  Do you know when the show will air that you were in?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

Quote from: Wildcat on February 03, 2007, 09:35:07 AM
I concur with all of the above.  Welcome to the forum and congradulations on the win.  Do you know when the show will air that you were in?

Welcome and do post when the show is going to air....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

topgator

It actually already aired January 26th.  I had to bid $1 over the nice girl next to me for it....you gotta do what you gotta do!  It was worth it  :D  Had a blast and have it forever saved on my DVR.  My smoker will be a great conversation piece for some time!

topgator

There is a clip of the bidding war on the Bradley homepage.  Apparently I'm hard of hearing.  I'll be trying out a chicken today!

LilSmoker

Just saw the video, very shrewd bidding there, but this is where the real fun starts  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

coyote

Have fun Topgator and welcome aboard......Coyote

NePaSmoKer

Welcome topgator and congrats on your win for the BS. you will really like it.
Say try to post some pics of what your going to smoke.

nepas

iceman

Welcome topgator. Please do keep us posted on your adventures with the new smoker. Have fun.