remote PID???

Started by smokin stu, January 13, 2007, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin stu

I plan on building a PID and was wondering if I could wire it so that the PID box is in my house and I wire it through the outside wall straight into my smoker shack that holds my BS (which is also on that outside wall).

The trick to me is the thermocouple.  Can I get a longer thermocouple cable?  I am not sure the six foot one is long enough.

I am envisoning a table in my kitchen by the outside wall with my PID and ET-73 providing me all the info I need on what's going on in my BS.

Think it could be done? ???

Gizmo

I am not a PID or electrical expert but I seem to remember a post on them not too long ago, that the thermo couple cable was quite specific to proper temperture reading or operation.  I am sure that the GURUs will chime in here soon, but in the mean time, you might try to do a search and find the post I think I am remembering.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokin stu,

Yes, you can get a longer TC cable. Omega has 4 pair type J cable at $1.40 a foot here: http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=4KX_MULTIPAIR_CABLE&Nav=temh10

You can probably find it elsewhere. If you have a torch, you can make your own TC out of the wire by fusing it together.

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

torch...  arcs with a torch... i got the visual... thats not a torch... thats a flame thrower...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MRH

Arcs,

Make your own TC by hooking the two wires together?  Is it as simple as it sounds?  Got my interest peaked now! ;)

Mark

Arcs_n_Sparks

it is as simple as it sounds......

Any type of connection that brings the two wires together will work, but the most common is to fuse the two wires into a bead. Considering the composition of the wires (iron and copper-nickel), a propane torch will not work. As owrstrich points out, I have more energetic sources at my disposal...   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Sparky, was thinking your icon photo was a lightening storm, starting to rethink that now.  Maybe you do some 'ghost busting' on the side as well~
:o

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Arcs' avatar is actually electrical arcs coming off his knuckles.  The three dark bumps at the bottom of the picture are the knuckles.  When soldering wires together, I hope he has pin point accuracy. :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

I was hoping my secrets would not come out.....  8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

LOL, There you go. Its on the net now! :) :) :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

smokin stu

Okay.......  planned it all out, everything looks doable :).......

Mentioned to the wife my amazing plans of having wiring go through the outside wall from my smoke and have a large metal box containing my PID in the kitchen :), thinking this was a brilliant idea.

Been married for over ten years now ;D, and am razor sharp when it comes to knowing which battle to fight :-\  This is not the hill I want to die on. :'(

This brilliant idea is clearly not how my wife imagines our kitchen decor to be ::)

My PID will be outside with my smoker :'(

Better that way anyway you know...... 

nodak

I ordered my TC for my PID from Omega and also ordered an extension cord, if you will for it. I use it in the winter and run it under my garage door to keep my PID above minimal operating temp.  Maybe check out their website or call them and see if they make wall jacks.  So when you smoke you can simpily plug in your PID.  Remember all wiring from PID to TC must be the same.  I believe they make jacks that maybe you can mount in an electrical box and put a cover on it?

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokin stu,

I think you need to talk to the wife about "dual use technoloyg." Perhaps the remote temp monitor can be used for other functions (stout temperature?) that she may be interested in. I imagine if you have a composter, she will be interested in the temperature. I am sure other members will help you out here.....   :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokin stu

composter temp......  ya.......  Wish me luck.