Scotty-G

That looks awesome!
So, hows the set up working?
Major points for originallity.

Keep on smokin!

Scotty-G

Mr Walleye

Thanks Scotty G

I'm still waiting for my replacement SSR. I had a faulty one but Auber stepped up to the plate and has sent a new one out. It should be hear shortly. I will keep you guys posted on the performance.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokin stu

I'm building a PID Controller from a posting from Rob (susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315) and have a qauestion about the thermocouple.

The thermocouple I got from Auber is the one on this post, but the end looks like I need to screw it into something, not like a probe end as I kind of expected.  What do I do with this end, just stick it in the vent of the BS, or am I missing a piece? 

Thanks,

nodak

Just stick it down the vent.  I ended up getting the one from Omega a more expensive probe, but much more accurate than the $5.00 plus I used a Jack plug with it. Also ordered an "extension cord" for the probe for winter to set my PID inside and run the cord under my garage door.

smokin stu

Nodak,

I like what you are saying.  How do I find an "extension cord"?  A "Jack Plug"?  Which TC from Omega?  I am asking as I am gathering the parts now, really have no idea what I am doing, and also want to run the PID unit inside the house.

I built a smoker shack at the back of the house so my BS can sit our there no matter the weather and I am hoping to have the PID and ET-73 sitting there in my kitchen operating the BS.

nodak

Thermocouple - Omega #TJ72-CASS-316U-3-SB-SMPW-M
Mini Panel Jack - Omega #RMJ-K-R
(info from bubbagump the master of PID's)

You need to use the some wire from the TC to run from PID to Jack, they say it is critical to use same wire.  Than when I ordered I just told them I need an "extension cord" to run from the jack to TC and they figured it out, I just told them I needed 6ft.  that gave me 12 total.  the TC's are custom made so you can just order it with a longer cord.  I wanted the option not to have all that cord tangling up in the summer when I don't need the length.

Mr Walleye

Hi Smokin Stu

If you look back at my original post you will see I used an Omega TC as well. The only difference is I ordered it 96 inches long. That's why the part number starts with "TJ96".

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokin stu,

Make sure you get the same type of TC wire as the thermocouple you are using. Also, each wire in the pair is different, so like-wire to like-wire.

Arcs_n_Sparks

outlander

i just sent out an e-mail to them to see about having them set up a invoice as well. how long did it take you to get a reply walleye? and how long did it take to recive the items?

Mr Walleye

Hi OutLander

I received a reply within a day I believe. I just sent an email to him regarding setup yesterday and I got his reply this morning. Here is the email addy I have for him: [email protected]

I think delivery was about 10 days. Ask him to sent it USPS and not UPS. Mine came through with no brokers fees or any other charge at the border. If you are going to order the TC from Omega they have an online Canadian store. That's where I ordered mine from to avoid brokers fees.

I've got mine all setup now. Works perfect! I have a batch of jerky in right now and it's maintaining 175 degrees spot on. every once in a while it will flash to 176 but quickly returns to 175. I have spent the last couple of nights (that's why I missed Tuesday chat) running the auto-tune and fine tuning it. At first after auto-tune it seemed to have a +3 to -2 swing but now that I'm actually smokin' something it is right on.

Mike

outlander

yup,,fast responce time, woke up next morn and they had the invoice all set up for me. lol,, they even caught my mistake on the model number and corrected it, with a email explaning the whys and what fors. 10 days waiting,huh,,,,enough time to cure up some pastramie me thinks.

chris

Mr Walleye