DBS Temp Swing Test

Started by Mr Walleye, February 04, 2007, 11:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcs_n_Sparks

I just consider this the natural evolution of any hobby; the add-ons, hours, and tweaking can exceed the value of the original item in question. Of course, the value in all this is the satisfaction one gets from doing stuff... 

However, I am ready with my MIG welder if required.   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

nodak

now that we've flopped a set suppose we can catch a four of a kind or full house on the river? :D

sincerely
Mike

West Coast Kansan

:D :D :D Sparkler and the MIG 8). No matter what - between now and the time I will go to my grave every spark makes me think about the Gizmo comment and the lightening bolts flying off your knuckles... -Storms aside not even static electricity will be the same again  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Arcs_n_Sparks

I wish throwing energy was as easy as Gizmo suggested; and believe me, I've been around lots of energy for a long time. I too will always be thinking of his observation, which was quite interesting.  8)

Time to move on to ball lightning.  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Gizmo

I am waiting for Arcs to be Ambidextrous .....  Plasma cutter in one hand and the MIG in the other.  Yeeeeoooooowwwwwww. :o
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Silverlock

As much as I like the "purity" of using the wood fired smoker I bought 2 years ago, I just don't have the patience to be tending it every 25 minutes. This is especially relevant when it comes to briskets and butts (which is why I've only done 1 of each).
So... when I discovered the Bradley's I got VERY intrigued! I almost bought a digital one the other day but thought I'd do a little more research. I don't want to hijack this thread but it seemed appropriate to respond here as I'm concerned (well, curious really) about the reliabilty of the digital vs the original. Are they really worth the difference in price? (actually only $30.00 difference here in Vernon, BC).
btw... these things don't create a smoke ring? WTH! Isn't that indicative of flavour permeating the meat?

Cheers
Silver

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

nodak

What Icerat said Plus build a PID

Habanero Smoker

Smoke ring (pink ring) is not created by smoke penetration, and is not an indication of flavor. It is a chemical reaction that does indicate that the meat was cooked "low and slow".

You can only get a "smoke ring" by cooking over organic fuel such as wood, charcoal and/or gas at a low temperature. Burning of these types of fuel produces trace amounts of nitrogen dioxide. When it comes in contact with the meat surface it dissolves and eventually converts to nitric oxide, which reacts to the pigment in the meat to form a "pink ring". This can penetrate to a depth of about 1/3"-3/8" (8-10 mm). Although you are producing smoke in the BS, the bisquettes are not burning hot enough to produce traces on nitrogen dioxide, or in the amount that would be needed to create a "smoke ring."

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nodak

Habanero Smoker if I understand you, Is it possible the Propane version could create the smoke ring effect?

Wildcat

Go original - go original - go original.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Silverlock

Quote from: nodak on February 19, 2007, 01:11:39 PM
What Icerat said Plus build a PID

PID? Okay, now I know I must be a noob. What is a PID? How does one 'build one'? How necessary is it to build/have one? And to get this thread back on track... Walleye suggests that the temp swing with the digital unit is "quite constant and fairly accurate". Hmmm... if Walleye would like me to start a separate thread for my questions I gladly will.

Cheers,
Silver

West Coast Kansan

Smoke ring puts polyps in your pooper ::)

Origional saves you some money that can be spent later to fund to add on toy of your choice.  The temp set on the OBS folks here say is not a big deal to learn to tweak.

The digital you dont tweak.  The DBS temp variation is nothing compared to the chunk smoker you were using. 

Either unit will meet the needs you expressed.

A PID is a temperature control scheme that provides a very accurate control over the temperature on either the DBS or the OBS.  Building a PID is not necessary at all.  There are many postings here about how to build and troubleshoot one.  They are fun additions to the smoker.

Walleye is right on about the temp swings on the DBS being constant and fairly accurate.  The trick with any of the smokers is understanding the varibles that are at work.  It is something that is learned as you smoke what you like to eat in the amounts you smoke it.

The one thing you will love about the Bradley is the ease of use with either unit.  You will smoke more often and less amount at a time.  At noon yester I did one roasting chicken.  No way do you start up a chunk wood smoker and tend it for a single chicken.  That is huge easy. I use DBS, with a do over I would keep DBS ... I can add the toys and keep a couple of features.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Hi Silver and welcome

No problem fro me on the thread... ask away. I couldn't agree more with West Coast. I don't think you can go wrong with either the DBS or OBS.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Silver,
IMHO its not about the purity anymore, it's about the smiles, eyes of content, and ease of use.  The palate is more telling then methodology.  As much as the temp swing bugs me on the digital, if it were a $30 dollar difference, I would still get the digital.  The repeatability of setting the number instead of a slider should be a bit more convenient.  The only reservation I would have (again with only a 30 dollar bill difference) is the heat capability between the two units.  From what I have seen here, it appears the Original has (or at least had) a hotter oven heater.  If that is the case and you are in colder temperatures, there might be an advantage with a hotter heating element to keep the temp up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/