mixin food when smokin

Started by mics, February 12, 2007, 09:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mics

k, so i did my first brisket this weekend,not bad for a rookie.set up the bradley with 2 racks of ribs on top and the brisket below.smoked for 4 hrs with apple,then took out the brisket,foiled and put in the oven.left the ribs go for another 3 hrs,then wrapped in foil let them sit.and to my surprize they were good,tender first time i have been able to do that. [thanks to all the info here],let the brisket stay untill it read 180,then foiled it and it wasnt bad,not as tender as i wanted but not to bad.so heres a a question.i notice that no matter how long i waitted,couldnt get above 180.finally took it out, foiled and set.it was dry on the ends but better in the middle,so im thinkin to shortin the time,like when i first get to 180 take it out?really want to thank you guys who contribe so much to this forum.i have gained so much from reading it.hopefully someday i will able to add.thanks mic question 2,is there anything that you wouldnt put in the smoker along with something else.like beef/pork? pork/seafood?
fishin and cookin,must be gettin ready to retire.gamefishin.

Habanero Smoker

Mics;
Welcome to the forum.

I have never mixed fish and other meats in the smoker, mainly because of the different smoking methods that are required between the two. I have mixed poultry, pork and beef during the same smoking session. If I mix poultry with other meats, generally put the poultry on top. If I am smoking pork and beef at the same time I generally will put the cut that has the most fat on top, unless I plan to serve it to someone who may restrict pork from their diet; then I will place the beef on top.

I smoke my brisket at around 200°F, and generally take my brisket out of the smoker at 180°F to 185°. Meats with a lot of connective tissue will "stall" at a certain temperature, generally somewhere in the range between 165°F to 175°. Around this range a lot of moisture is being released from the meat, as the connective tissue collagen converts to gelatin. So at 180°F that was occurring to your brisket. The lower the oven temperature the longer this "stall" will occur.

What was your oven temperature? Have you calibrated, or checked the accuracy of the thermometer that you are using to measure the internal meat temperature, because 180°F usually is a bit high for it to stall? 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  The only thing I can add to Hab's input is to FTC after cooking cycle for 3 or 4 hours and spraying with apple juice a couple of times during the cooking and once again when you FTC.  I have only done one brisket myself and it turned out great.  Brisket will naturally turn out a little tough being a lean cut and all, but should not be too bad.  I had a hard time cutting mine without it falling apart.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mics

h/s and wildcat,thanks for the info.h/s no i havent put a temp probe to the oven yet.thats the next thing.all in all i am pretty satified for the first time results.i had a meat probe in the brisket.h/s question if i might,when you hit 180 then do you foil and wrap.
fishin and cookin,must be gettin ready to retire.gamefishin.

Habanero Smoker

Members on this forum use many methods to smoke brisket, I do brisket differntly than most. Hopefully others will share there methods with you.

I don't use foil when I'm smoking/cooking the brisket. The only time I will foil is when I consider it done. For me that is around 180°F-185°F, many like to take theirs to 190°F and higher. Then I splash it with either beef broth or apple juice, wrap it in foil and place it in a "preheated" microwave to let it rest for about two hours. To preheat a microwave, place about 1/2 cup of water in a microwave proof measuring cup. Heat at high for 2-3 minutes until the water boils. Next move the cup a back corner of the microwave, and place your brisket inside.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Sounds good Hab. I like it just firm enough to cool slightly and slice with a very sharp knife. :P I'm hungry again already and I just had breakfast. :)