Something wrong with my smoked sausage?

Started by scubasmoker, February 15, 2007, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scubasmoker

Finally got around to making another batch of sausage, so I thought I'd better let everyone know how they turned out. Much better this time around, little salty for my taste but will tweak that next time. Used a Pork shoulder, could really tell the difference in fat content. for the filler i used lo fat dried milk. I live in a small town so its hard to get some of the stuff mentioned without ordering over the internet, and since this was a spur of the moment deal just went with what was available. Seemed to work ok. By the way this was a 5# batch. Got a receipe from my father-in-law so I used it with the helpful tips from the board. Stuffed as I was doing the first grind, time wise if nothing else this was much better. The only down side like I said was to much salt. The receipe called for 2.5 TBSP which for my taste was a bit much like I said will change next time. The only thing I'm still not sure about was letting them set before smoking. Talked to my father-in-law and he said that he just stuffed, dried for about a hour then smoked. I let mine set about 4 hours in the fridge then smoked. Thanks again for all the helpful tips turned out much better this time around.

Dave Bungartz

When I smoke sausage I only cold smoke it, then freeze it, I take it out of freezer cook on stove, I heat to about 190-200 I do not boil, I then check the rings inside temp, when reach 160 done