Rack Placement

Started by TxSmoker, February 18, 2007, 10:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxSmoker

Hello All! I was wondering how crucial the placement of the rack you are smoking on is? Should it be closer to the element or closer to the middle or top? Does this effect the smoke penitration? Thanks! Steve

Wildcat

Not sure on this one, but I do know that heat and smoke both rise in the BS when the vent is properly set.  If I am only utilizing one rack, I put it on the top position.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Greetings TxS, That would kind of depend on what is on the racks.  As a rule  ;) my own and nobody tells me different I just shoot for the middle. Others here may have a different preference. 
If your doing a combination of items I will put beef low, chicken above, veggie on top. 
As the WCat says heat rises - but starts at the bottom and is higher toward the back of the tower. The items that take the longest i will put lower and work my way up. 
A load of similar items on all racks will need to be rotated It the cook is going to last a long period of time (Jerky, multiple butts, full load of salmon etc.   The rotation will keep things cooking evenly. Rotate top to bottom and turn the rack from front to back. Only needed if going on a long haul time.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

jimguy

If I am using a single rack, I place it on the second from top position, the same level the door thermometer probe is. Assuming the door thermometer is accurate, this gives me the temp at the cooking level.

LilSmoker

I guess it depends on what you're cooking, and how long you're cooking it for?.

If i'm just using one rack, i use either the one down from top, or the one up from bottom, when using multiple racks i usually rotate them, but the majority of my smoking is done with the help of a Maverick ET-73, so i always know what my temps are.  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Tiny Tim

I usually load close to the thermometer probe, so I know the approximate temp I'm working with.  May change when I start using my Maverick (have it, just forgot to take it home this weekend).

TxSmoker

Thanks for the input guys! What's this maverick everyone is talking about? Steve

Tiny Tim

Maverick ET73, dual probe thermometer.  One probe does the food temp, the other does the smoker/oven/ambient temp.  Got mine from ikitchen.com (something like that...I don't recommend them unless you have a lot of time to wait for it).  edit to add:  Oh yeah, it also has a remote receiver so you don't have to go out and look at the temps.

Silverlock

Quote from: Tiny Tim on February 19, 2007, 08:04:17 AM
Maverick ET73, dual probe thermometer.  One probe does the food temp, the other does the smoker/oven/ambient temp.  Got mine from ikitchen.com (something like that...I don't recommend them unless you have a lot of time to wait for it).  edit to add:  Oh yeah, it also has a remote receiver so you don't have to go out and look at the temps.

Just Googled and found it. OMFG!  :o I don't even have my smoker yet (getting the DBS next week) but I KNOW I will be buying one of these puppies! heh heh.... Gawd I love gadgets! :D

Wildcat

You should do fine here.  There are a lot of gadget geeks here, lol. ;D :D ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TxSmoker

ok, cool, I guess I should look into one of those! Another thing I hear people talking about is: ramp on or ramp off, ect... What is the ramp? Thanks, Steve

West Coast Kansan

If it is in the temperature context it would be a Guru PID device. I am not familar with them.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TxSmoker on February 20, 2007, 05:36:29 PM
ok, cool, I guess I should look into one of those! Another thing I hear people talking about is: ramp on or ramp off, ect... What is the ramp? Thanks, Steve

Ramp is a turn given by Shotgun Fred (inventor of the Competitor (Guru)). It is a device that regulates the cabinet and meat temperatures. It was originally for wood and charcoal smokers, but he made an adapter so electric smokers (up to 500w) could use it; and called it the Raptor/Guru.

You can set the two temperature probes to work independently of each other (Ramp Off), or set it to interface with each other (Ramp On the default setting). Ramp Off; the cabinet temperature stays the same as you set it through out the smoking/cooking time. When you have it on Ramp On, the cabinet probe controls the cabinet temperature until the meat temperature gets within 25°F of it's set temperature. At that point, both probes control the cabinet temperature by slowly lowering the cabinet temperature until the cabinet temperature is the same temperature that you set for the meat, and it will hold it at that temperature until you take the meat out of the smoker.

Here is a link to the site:
http://www.thebbqguru.com

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)