BS: Newbie Buyer: Stainless v. original

Started by Mawgie, August 28, 2004, 02:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mawgie

Folks -

I am a newbie smoker buyer, and an avid deer and duck hunter and outdoor cooker here in Upstate NY, ready to avoid making the mistake of buying a Brinkmann style smoker as my first rig.  My question is, if you were were me, would you buy the original Bradley, or a stainless steel Bradley at $190-$200 more $$?  Seems to me that everyone would want the stainless steel, but when it comes to the extra $200 from the wallet, an original that is well cared for will perform just as well,, and that extra $200 will buy a whole lot of smoke chips.  Am I missing any performance features or enhancements that would make the Stainless model worth the extra $$, beyond looks?

Thanks-Mawgie

nsxbill

I like the stainless one because it won't rust, and matches my stainless BBQ which are both outside under enclosed covered porch.  It is just a matter of which one you like.  They all work the same.  Cleanup probably more demanding on the stainless just because everything shows.  

One of our list members, Chez Bubba//www.chezbubba.com has a great deal on everything you need to get your started.  Lots of good feedback from his customers here, and he will take good care of getting it to you pronto.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

whitetailfan

If you look around this topic, there are some good discussions on the differences.  Basically it is only the cosmetics, and like Bill said, the weather resistance of stainless steel.

My biggest concern is that you are paying $200 more for SS[?][?][?]
Unless that is the special Ducks Unlimited special edition (which by the way is simply a SS Bradley with a pretty duck on the front) then you are being taken.  No matter where I have seen them, no matter what the base price, a SS smoker is priced at $100 over the black original.

I'm from Canada where these bad boys are built, and frankly I only paid about $250USD equivalent for my original Bradley, so to pay $200 difference to me is crazy...

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />I'm from Canada where these bad boys are built...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Check your label.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Mawgie,

My piddly .02 cents worth here.  I own a black BS. To me it looks great, cleans up well amd the finish seem to be put on fairly well.  The only problem I have with the black, the finish is blistering around the vent hole.  I have had mine for six months now and I smoke 8 out of ten weekends with it.  I would like to ask Kirk, is the finish blistering under warranty?(probably not)  If you were to buy a BS, get it from Chez Bubba(Kirk), undoughtably the best dealer in the nation and just a plain great guy.  If anything happens he will make right.

<font color="blue"><b>Now for the importance stuff!</b> </font id="blue"> Good to have another duck hunter around these parts. When is your opener up there?  Ours is not untill the week before Thanksgiving. Whatch'ya been seeing? Our early Teal season starts in a couple of weeks.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Mawgie

Thanks for the input.  For an extra c-note, I may go with the the SS.
MAllardWhacker, here in Upstate NY, early Canada Goose opens 9/1/.  Ducks on 10/23.  We've been seeing plenty of mallards and some wood ducks.  Tons of Canada geese, too......

-Mawgie

p.s. I e-mailed Kirk at his website, and he was very responsive.  Seems like a great guy.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />I would like to ask Kirk, is the finish blistering under warranty?(probably not)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've never heard of that happening before, mine gets greasy-dirty but wipes right up. Maybe you're using some caustic-hot marinade![:D]

I think we're on the same page warranty-wise, but it's certainly worth a call to Bradley (800)665-4188. They are very adamant about standing behind their product. I've seen stranger things replaced![;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

CB,
Good call...my bad (as Olds would say)
I'm from where the head office is / the guys that import them / who ever decided that they should be M.I.C.

MW
et tu Mallard?   LOL
I thought that I had a lemon at first, then I just figured that is what happens when you put moisture and smoke together.  I also have some ugly stuff going on around the vent, glad to know I'm not alone.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.