OSB temp regulation

Started by Ted, February 20, 2007, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

My OSB finally got here last night.  I set it up and seasoned it earlier today.  I ran it with smoke for about 2 hours at around 150.  At the end, I cranked up the heat and got it to 200ish, easily.  I then removed a couple of racks, cleaned the bowl and set it to preheat back up to 200.  I had a chicken all brined, dried, and rubbed.  Well, the temp creeped up and did not get above 150.  I put the chicken in for fear of the old clock.  Since the bird was still cold, the temp dropped like a rock to 130.  I messed with the vent and have only been able to get the temp to DROP! 

I know that once the bird starts warming up, the cabinet temp will start to come up.  But I have another concern.  I have the OSB sitting directly on the cement slab of the patio right now.  The sun has not come around to it so it is still pretty chilly.  Is that pulling heat away from the smoker?  If a couple bricks inside can make a difference, I imagine this giant gray heat sink is going to be bad.

Besides a cart, which will come soon, what can I do?

Edit:  I have been searching the forum for a couple hours, but I just can't seem to find anything that would suggest a solution.

Tiny Tim

I know this is a stupid question, but did you happen to bump the temp slider?  How about shielding it from the wind?

Ted

It is definitely somewhat breezy out.  I will have to see what I can do about that.

Not a silly suggestion about the temp slider.  But unfortunately, that was not the issue.  In fact, I pushed it all the way to the right. :)

It is up to 140 now.  After an hour and a half it is finally coming up.  I have the vents about half open now. 

Well, I have some work to do.  A cart, some wind protection, and some bricks to store heat in the cabinet.  Oh, and a Maverick.  And some Bubba Pucks. :)

Tiny Tim

and a slicer...and more racks...and some seasonings...and more meat...and...and...and

;) :D

Ted

Quote from: Tiny Tim on February 20, 2007, 12:03:48 PM
and a slicer...and more racks...and some seasonings...and more meat...and...and...and

;) :D

Yeah!  A slicer!  I saw an inexpansive one for $99 this weekend.

So, now I am back down to 136.  I could not rig much of a wind break, just a patio chair, really.  The bird had been in there for 2 hours 20 minutes so far.

Tiny Tim

If you're done with the smoke part, you could cheat and finish it in the oven so ya don't have to pitch it.  Until you can solve the problem anyway.

Ted

The smoke is done.  I think I might finish it in the oven.  It is the first shot.  Learning curve.

Wildcat

Quote from: Ted on February 20, 2007, 01:11:11 PM
The smoke is done.  I think I might finish it in the oven.  It is the first shot.  Learning curve.

Good plan! ;)  If your bird has skin on then this will probably be better anyway. ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ted

Update:  Up to 145 now.  I don't want to "give up".  I'll give it another hour.

Is there a danger leaving it at such a low temp for so long?  I will still bring it to temperature before eating it, but would it be bad to leave it and see how it goes?

Ted

Something is definitely wrong.  It is 70F out.  It has been pretty much all day.  I can't get this thing much over 145.  I had it higher during seasoning...

I have the heat slider cranked.  Shouldn't it be blazing by now?  Almost 4 hours later?

Oven is preheating. :)

Edit:  Am I annoying yet?  I just fiddles with the slider.  I backed it off just a bit.  I came in and typed the above and went back out to check.  The temp is up to 168 and climbing fast.

Maybe the slider is a little flakey?  This is definitely a learning experience.  Hopefully I will somedat look back at this and smile.

Tiny Tim

No, you're not annoying.  Could be a minor problem with the rheostat (sp) in the temp control.  Keep an eye on it and/or contact Bradley.

Ted

Good idea.  Tomorrow I'll run it with just the temp probe for a while and see if I can figure something out.

Maybe time for a PID?  Heh, day one. :)

iceman

Hi Ted. Don't ever feel like your annoying around here. If you don't pipe up no one will know your having a problem and thus we can't help. Plus it allows all of us to become aware of problems that others have. There is a large amout of knowlage floating around this forum. COMUNICATION (something I don't have at work). So keep on posting buddy. :D ;)

Habanero Smoker

Something is not right. With only one chicken in the smoker you should not have had any problems getting it to at least 200°F. You should preheat at least 25°F to 50°F higher thany you are going to smoke at. I would guess there is either something wrong with your temperature gauge, or your rheostat. Another problem could be the chicken is against the cabinet themometer, thus given you a false cabinet reading.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ted

Thanks guys!

Well, I read here not to trust the cabinet thermometer.  I have a digital thermometer probe hanging off a rack.  I have since been able to get the temp to 200 to 203 steady.  So I guess there may be a problem with the rheostat.  Once it got up to around 190, I started hearing juices dripping and sizzling. 

So, should I worry about it sitting at that dangerous temperature (135 to 145) for several hours?

Iceman, I hear you about the communication at work.  :)

HS, I'll be sure to preheat a lot more than I did today.  I can't wait to try something else.  And this isn't even done yet! :)