OSB temp regulation

Started by Ted, February 20, 2007, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

Myself, I wouldn't worry about the low temps for that time, but, I also ocasionally eat uncured, rare pork and chicken (I ain't got patience sometimes) and haven't gotten sick.  Others will have to advise you on the safety of the time/temp on today's test.

Gizmo

Once the bird is up to the proper temp all the bugs should be gone.
Welcome and keep the questions coming.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Enjoy that new smoker and share your experiences for everyone.  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

bullhead

Ted to protect the vent from the wind, I took a coffee can cut the bottom out and put on top of the smoker. that helped when smokeing at 10 deg.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ted on February 20, 2007, 03:11:18 PM

So, should I worry about it sitting at that dangerous temperature (135 to 145) for several hours?

As a rule I now try not to answer these types of questions any more (long story - don't ask) :)

If you have handled the poultry properly prior to placing it in the smoker, and the cabinet was at 140°F within the time that you stated, and at one point got up to 168°F; the poultry should be safe; as long as you cooked it to the proper internal temperature.

Have you determined what the problem is? I'm hoping it's your door thermometer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ted

Thanks for the replies everyone!  I got the OBS to do my bidding finally yesterday.  I was able to get it heated to 201 - 203 and stay there pretty steadily.  I do think there is a bit of flakiness to the rheostat.  I will test that out, today possibly.

The wind died down yesterday afternoon, but I was going to ask if it might be worth adding a little chimney to the top of it.  It was not 10 degrees out.  In fact, it was in the 60s F. 

I finally pulled the chicken when it was 160 internal temp and I finished it in the oven for about 30 minutes. 

It was pretty good.  Nice and juicy.  The skin was rubber, but I expected that.  In fact, this brand of chicken is terrible with rubber skin and tough meat anyway.  The meat was nice and tender.  Did I mention juicy?  The smoke was mild (I used Apple).  I think I might use something with a bit more bite next time. 

We'll be off to Sam's Club tonight to see if I can dig something good out of the meat department.  I'd love to do a brisket.  Then again, I only have Maple and Apple bisquettes right now.  Would Maple be too mild for a brisket?  I know it has a lot to do with personal taste but...  Any opinions?

Thanks again everyone for all of the suggestions and support.  More to come!  For sure.  And pictures next time.

icerat4

Sams club is where i buy all my meat.The baby back ribs are very meatie. ;D.Good luck and have fun. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Silverlock

The OBS and DBS are advertised as being able to heat up to as high as 320F. Is this during a heat wave only? Before I buy one I want to know they'll operate up to at least 225F in cooler weather (like at 32F or so).

Tiny Tim

My original got to 260 in about 28 to 30 degree weather...still had a little of the slider left, so I could have probably got 280 or better that day.

Wildcat

Quote from: Ted on February 21, 2007, 07:21:41 AM
We'll be off to Sam's Club tonight to see if I can dig something good out of the meat department.  I'd love to do a brisket.  Then again, I only have Maple and Apple bisquettes right now.  Would Maple be too mild for a brisket?  I know it has a lot to do with personal taste but...  Any opinions?

Maple and Apple combo is great on brisket.  Maple and pecan does well also.

Quote from: Silverlock on February 21, 2007, 11:12:56 AM
The OBS and DBS are advertised as being able to heat up to as high as 320F. Is this during a heat wave only? Before I buy one I want to know they'll operate up to at least 225F in cooler weather (like at 32F or so).

My Stainless Original will go well over 230F at 32F outside temp.  Can't say for colder temps as we rarely get under 32 here in Florida.  When it does I stay inside. ;D ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

icerat4

32 DEGREES O u poor lil thing.LOL try -25 in chicago. ;D.My 2 smokers got thru that  no problem.had them going to whole time .They didnt miss a beat.Cool huh. ;).32 y i .When its 50 down there do u ware a jacket too.hahahahehhehe lol .Ok im done and jealious for sure.My 2 new waverunners just sitting in the garage what a waste.RAT OUT. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Habanero Smoker

Ted;

If you pull the bird from the BS and the internal meat temperature was 160°F (which for me is done), then the cabinet temperature must have been in the 200°F temperature range most of the time; as your probe thermometer indicated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Quote from: icerat4 on February 21, 2007, 01:33:36 PM
.32 y i .When its 50 down there do u ware a jacket too.hahahahehhehe lol .Ok im done and jealious for sure.My 2 new waverunners just sitting in the garage what a waste.RAT OUT. ;D

;D ;D  If the wind is up at 50 I sure do! 8) ;D

Speaking of wave runners, there is a big search on for a young man that took one out yesterday into the mouth of one of the local rivers and has not been heard from since.  The river empties into one of the bays and then into the Gulf of Mexico.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteI also ocasionally eat uncured, rare pork and chicken (I ain't got patience sometimes) and haven't gotten sick.

Whilst trichinella infection isn't that common nowdays in the developed world, for anyone tempted to eat undercooked pork it may be worth having a look at the link below.... not for the squemish!!

http://ucdnema.ucdavis.edu/imagemap/nemmap/ent156html/nemas/trichinellaspiralis

Initially it doesn't actually make you "sick" as such, generally not for the first few weeks anyway!!
Manxman

iceman

Interesting post Manx. Thanks