OSB temp regulation

Started by Ted, February 20, 2007, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Sorry to be late in adding my 2 cents.  May I suggest placing your smoker in a dark area (no smoke) and with the door open move your slider to the right. If the element does not get bright red then there is something wrong. If goes bright red, but when you to the far right the red dies out then there is something wrong. Call Bradley...they have a great warrenty~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Ted

GREAT idea Olds!  I just wheeled it into the garage last night.  Plenty dark in there.

I need to also put in my thermometer and see how high I can get it.  I see some people get their BS to 300 degrees.  I had my slider almost all the way to the right and it was around 200.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Ted,

Sometimes moving the slider all the way to the right has a problem; some have backed off a bit and things really heat up. Not sure about your situation.

Welcome to the forum.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Ted

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on February 23, 2007, 07:36:13 PM
Ted,

Sometimes moving the slider all the way to the right has a problem; some have backed off a bit and things really heat up. Not sure about your situation.

Welcome to the forum.

Arcs_n_Sparks

That's just what I did.  Although, when I was testing in the garage, I noticed that the power cable from the smoke generator to the tower was not ALL the way in the socket. 

I got up earlier this morning and I have a nice butt going now.  After about an hour and a half and a probe thermometer reposition, I am getting what I think is an accurate temperature of the cabinet.  It is staying rock solid on 201 degrees.  I did myself a favor and bought one of those $50 metal carts from Sam's.  I am still a little convinced that the cold cement slab was at least part of the problem. 

Anyway, the butt is well on the way.  I used a slight variation of the recipe from "nsxbill" here:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114

I'll post my variations once I taste it. :)

Thanks everyone!

BubbaMaestro

I received the Original Smoker as a gift.  I am passionately into charcuterie, and was very happy to have this machine to work with.  I have used it a couple of times now, and am very disappointed so far.  Hot smoking is still just a dream - I can't get the smoker above 175 degrees, and that's with the slider all the way over.  I have read several posts about this problem - isn't this something that should have been fixed?  The data for the smoker indicates the maximum temperature is controllable up to 320 degrees - not possible on the one I have.  I'm ready to send it back for a refund. Very unhappy situation.

Arcs_n_Sparks

BubbaMaestro,

You should easily get the BS to 250-275; many have gone higher. I'd call Bradley regarding warranty work.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Wildcat

I agree.  I sometimes I find it diffucult to keep mine below 220.  Just as it is with all machines, sometime you run across an imperfect unit.  I am sure Bradley will take care of it.  Also, welcome to the forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

I have a slicer i cant even pick up. Old cast iron deli slicer with a 15" blade, dang thing weighs 100 pnds, i blow a butt gasket trying to move it.  :o

nepas

Habanero Smoker

BubbaMaestro;

Welcome to the forum.

Besides a possible mechanical problem with the BS, many things have an effect on the cabinet temperature. That can include ambient temperature, wind, size of the load, the type of meat(s) you are trying to smoke/cook; opening the door, and/or the vent opened too wide. Also the location and/or the type of thermometer you are using to monitor the temperature may be giving you a false reading. If you are just using the door thermometer, that may not be accurate.

If it is not a mechanical problem, if post more details about the problem you are having others may be able to provide some solutions; such as, can it only get to 175°F under all conditions?; can the temperature get higher when it is empty?; what size load are you trying to smoke/cook?; what are you using to monitor the temperature?; etc.

What ever the problem, I hope you get it resolved soon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteSometimes moving the slider all the way to the right has a problem; some have backed off a bit and things really heat up.

I have a piece of duck tape stuck on mine as a reminder not to push the slider too far to the right, also on occasions I get someone else to keep an eye on the smoker if I am busy and it is of help to them.

HS has hit the nail on the head with his reply BubbaMaestro, following his suggestions and comments may help resolve your issue. At least if it doesn't you know you have a faulty unit. Welcome to the forum.

Manxman