Wish me luck

Started by Tiny Tim, February 23, 2007, 11:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I'm an hour and a half into my first un-attended smoke.  Not using my Maverick because from where I am to the smoker, it's about 4 blocks.  It's a brined (sort of) full turkey that Dad's girlfriend wanted me to do for her and her family to eat on tomorrow afternoon.  I say sort of on the brine, because I only had 14 hours to let it sit, and it was still partially frozen when I started the brine.  I did use a tenderizer to stab some small holes in the breast(s), so I hope that helps.  Didn't know if she wanted the neck or not, so I shoved it up the bird's behind while it was waiting to be put in the smoker.  Using 4 hours of Mesquite, and will let it stay in the cabinet until it's done, with the box temp using the door thermometer, at 200ish.  It's also the second run on my homemade Bubba Pucks.

LilSmoker

Well i'll wish you good luck TT, but i'm sure it'll be great!, as long as the internal temp is right you should score big points i reckon  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Tiny Tim

I'm not too worried about it...shootin' for 170 IT, and Dad just called and said the door thermo said 200 so we should be in good shape.  Haven't turned the old remote read thermometer yet, I'll do that around 5:00 when I go to check on it myself (probe is in, but not turned on).

LilSmoker

Sounds like you're well organised and got everything covered, it's making me hungry just thinking about it  ;)

I'm going downstairs now, to look for something to smoke tommorow ;D :D

Wildcat

Quote from: LilSmoker on February 23, 2007, 12:19:04 PM
Sounds like you're well organised and got everything covered, it's making me hungry just thinking about it  ;)

What he said. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Not too worried about rats today...wind will blow 'em off the driveway if the get within 10 feet of the "smokehouse". :D  Smoke cycle should be done now, gonna see if I can go home quick to open the vent up and bump the temp slider a touch to eliminate moisture buildup.

manxman

Manxman

Tiny Tim

Thanks for the wishes, guys.  I've decided to wait another 45 minutes to go check on it...be leaving for a haircut then anyway.  Hoping it's either about done then, or a long ways to go so I can go to the bar tonight for supper and a couple of drinks...or a few drinks and supper. :D  It's been too long since I was there, close to 2 months, and the owner just came to get some liquor and asked Dad why I haven't been in lately.

NePaSmoKer

Good luck TT

I'm sure it will turn out great

nepas

Tiny Tim

Well, Tommy came out of the smoker and oven looking very beautiful, except for where I stabbed him with the probe for my old digital thermometer.  I had a nice constant 200 degrees for 6 hours, but could only get the IT to 138, so I threw him in the oven at 250...3 hours later he was only to 150 IT.  Fortunately, I decided to go to the bar when after an hour and 15 minutes at 250, he'd only gained 3 degrees.  When I got home, I cranked the oven another 50 degrees, and got my 170 IT by 10:00 or just slightly thereafter.

Nice deep brown skin, looks like the skin won't be rubbery.  Wanted to carve a hunk out of it soooooo bad, but I didn't know what Dad's Girlfriend would have said about that.

Threw my 6# breast roll in this morning before coming to work...gonna finish that one in the oven when I get home at noon, since we have a little ice and are expecting snow this afternoon.

Hope to get some pics of both of them...if I can remember to bring my camera home.

LilSmoker

Sounds great TT, yeah please try and do some pics, just to tease us!

Wish i was coming to dinner, i'm getting very hungry now! ;)

coyote

Hey TT,
          Everyday can be like Thanksgiving...........If you're smokin' a turkey  :)

Enjoy your smoke ,
                                                                                  Coyote

Tiny Tim

This may open me up to doing more smoking yet.  I dunno, though...I like to be a little more hands-on than when I'm doing this long distance.  I'd like to be at least in range for my Maverick to tell me what's goin' on in there.

Maybe if I win the one from the Chat Contest I'll have that one hooked up here at the store and drive my customers crazy. :D :D :D

Gizmo

Arcs,
Looks like a business opportunity.  A satellite or cellular link remote temperature monitoring device.  Don't need to modify the inside with a wire any more>  ;D ;D ;D  Let me know when my royalties start rollin in.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

Gizmo,

This topic came up quite some time ago. The Maverick is running at 433.92 MHz (very common for low data rate remote monitoring such as this, weather stations, etc...). I wrote Maverick to see if I could get the protocol of the data stream, since I have some Microchip transceivers and wanted to monitor the Maverick on my PC. They declined.

I can see the bit stream on my scope, but without knowing the protocol, very hard to reverse engineer it.

Arcs_n_Sparks