Smoker shack and my new PID

Started by smokin stu, February 23, 2007, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin stu

Proud papa here, had to show you folks my new PID.  I have yet to plug it in.  With the weekend upon us, its show time!!!

Here is the smoker shack as inspired by the folks on this forum.

and here's my new PID, the final touches done just minutes ago.

Since the box I am using is on the large side and is all metal, with the SSR bolted right up against it, I expect I will not need a heat disapator.

I plug it in tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  How long does it take to calibrate one of these things?

LilSmoker

Hi smokin stu, nicely done, good luck with your PID, it's on my to-do list to build one, not enough hours in a day etc.

Anyway looking good  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Hey - nice shack.  I think even I could build a box like that to keep my unit out of the rain.  Nicely done and thanks for posting these pics. :)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hi SmokinStu

Looks great!

As far as running the autotune on the PID goes I set the target temp for 200 degrees. Once the tower temp was up to about 180 degrees, I turned on the autotune. I think it took about 1.5 hours to do it's thing. It will over shoot and under shoot about 3 times before the AT cuts out. I've ran mine a couple of times and it always comes out with slightly different numbers for the P, I and D. Mine is working with about a 2 degree temp swing so I would still like to fine tune it a bit. I would be very interested in what your ( or anybody elses) P,I & D numbers are after your autotune. I will post mine later when I get home from work. I just can't remember them right now.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Looks great SmokinStu! Let us know how the shake down run goes. I still have to get mine built. ::) :)

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Watch out for RATS SNEEKING IN THAT NICE BOX.We like a nice warm places to smell smoked food.So dont mind if me and a few friends stop by to chill out a bit.RAT OUT.Lol  We were really looking for a new place and since yours looks alittle better will be over to your box.beats were we are at now take a look.

Looks like an upgrade is needed see ya soon

Just another weekend with the smoker...

outlander

nice setup,, cant wait till my controller gets here. left the states on the 20th. still looking for a box to stick it in though.

chris

NePaSmoKer

Hey nice job on both projects. I am jelous of your green grass too  :-\

nepas

Mr Walleye

Here's my current numbers:

P=400
I=225
D=225

I have ran the AT 3 times now. Each time the settings are a little different but the outcome is almost the same. I am currently doing 2 butts at 210 degrees with a temp swing of 2 degrees each way. Does anybody have any thoughts on which setting I should try tweaking and in what direction? I would be interested in hearing others settings.

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 23, 2007, 08:10:43 PM
I would be interested in hearing others settings.

Mike

I'd be setting my beer next to where my hand rests.    :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Mr Walleye

smokin stu

NePa, the photos of the shack were from the summer.  The PID is spankin' new.  It's cold out there now and the 3 feet of snow that fell two weeks ago is slowly melting. 

This is what i saw when I tried to go to work in the morning.  Needless to say, I was back in the kitchen with the kettle on almost instantly.  Love those snow days.

I'm 6' 5" tall and the snow was not drifting up by the door.   

Oh ya, Icerat, your freakin' me out!!!

smokin stu

Decisions, decisions.........  I wanted to tune up and try out my new PID today, but I have to wait until tomorrow.  Why, you say?  What can possible outrank this glorious event? 

Well, me and the boys are heading to the Hamilton Gun Club for some skeet shooting.  First time the gun will be out this year.  Besides, my buddy's dear wife is throwing us a beer and wings party afterwards where we get a fire going in the fireplace and watch hunting videos.  Scotch may be a component of the evening.

Life is good.

Wildcat

Quote from: smokin stu on February 24, 2007, 10:21:42 AM
Decisions, decisions.........  I wanted to tune up and try out my new PID today, but I have to wait until tomorrow.  Why, you say?  What can possible outrank this glorious event? 

Well, me and the boys are heading to the Hamilton Gun Club for some skeet shooting.  First time the gun will be out this year.  Besides, my buddy's dear wife is throwing us a beer and wings party afterwards where we get a fire going in the fireplace and watch hunting videos.  Scotch may be a component of the evening.

Life is good.

Nothing like a day with the kids followed by adult beverages and wings! ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/