Digital Smoker Built in Thermometer

Started by FDNY661, February 26, 2007, 05:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FDNY661

I'm new to smoking and I have being reading the forums. It seems to me that
Temperature 200 to 220 degrees is very important!

My Question

Has any body install a round dial smoker's thermometer in the door of a digital smoker?
I noticed that the original smoker has one!

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

headgames

MY thought ..........  skip the dial ...............  buy a digital with a probe ..( 20-25 bucks )........   send  the cable in through the vent ......#1 . very accurate ( some dials heve been off by 30 degrees)

#2.  It keeps the vent always open just enough for most smokings

#3  You got to kill it before you can grill it .  ;D  lol
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum FDNY661.  Headgames is right on.  Maverick has two probes, one for the box temp and one for the internal meat temp and it is very acurate.  I have the original BS in the stainless version and the dial gauge is way off. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FDNY661

Thanks for the info on the in-door thermometer. I heard that the maverick smoker thermometer
shorts out after a few uses! 

Thanks

Silverlock

Quote from: Wildcat on February 26, 2007, 12:35:37 PM
Welcome to the forum FDNY661.  Headgames is right on.  Maverick has two probes, one for the box temp and one for the internal meat temp and it is very acurate.  I have the original BS in the stainless version and the dial gauge is way off. ;)

My "chunk smoker" has an analog thermometer that's accurate to within a couple of degrees. I'll check the name on it when I get home.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FDNY661 on February 26, 2007, 01:14:39 PM
Thanks for the info on the in-door thermometer. I heard that the maverick smoker thermometer
shorts out after a few uses! 

Thanks

FDNY661;
Welcome to the forum.

The door location is not the best location for reading the cabinet temperature. As mentioned above, you can place a probe inside and get a more accurate measurement

Over the past 2.5 years there have been complaints about the actual range, and an occassional probe failure, but I never experienced or heard of any Maverick ET-73 shorting out. They are not water proof, though they are moisture resistant. So you need to protect it from the elements.

The door location is not the best location for reading the cabinet temperature. As mentioned above, you can place inside and get a more accurate measurement.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I got my used Maverick from another forum member and I have used it since with no problems at all.  There are lemons with all products, but I have not experienced any with the Maverick.  The ONLY complaint I am aware of (except water getting into the probe) is that the range on it is not that great. :)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Never had any problems with my maverick. I use a Bbq Guru/Raptor also and put all the probe wires between the door seal  and cabinet with no problems.
And welcome to the forum FDNY661

nepas

LilSmoker

Hi FDNY661, and welcome to the forum, haven't had any probs at all with my Maverick, apart from the mentioned range issues that some have.

I modded mine with great results, but even unmodded they are a "must have" with the BS, i would buy another without hesitation  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

FDNY661

Thank's to you all!! The infomation was a great help :)
Good smoking ;D

West Coast Kansan

FDNY661 Welcome, and enjoy your smoker.  Let everyone know how things work out for you!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)