I've got a question about the PID now

Started by Tiny Tim, February 28, 2007, 08:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

there were some bradley smokers that were built where the power cord that connected the smoker generator to the smoke box actually had 2 males ends...

these units were promptly recalled because someone got zapped...

so... anyone who has a cord with 2 male ends needs to call bradley and get a new smoker...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Tiny Tim

Thermocouples are coming.  I bid on a pair of Omegas that were on Ebay, and on my third (third different pair) attempt, I was the winning bidder.  3/16 by 6" with 8 ft. wire, and got them for $17.49.  Now if I could only get a similar score on the PID and the SSR... (not gonna try, I want a warranty on those).

nodak

I caution you on the TC's as they vary in quality.  I bought a cheap one from aubrin and had terrible luck with it.  I ordered one from OMega and was worth the money.  Also make sure to use the same wire from the PID all the way.

MH

Tiny Tim

I'm a step closer to actually working on this project...Thermocouples came today, and look to be of real good quality, so I just placed an order with Auber for the controller and SSR.  Should be able to get the rest of the stuff locally.

Would like to have it done by this weekend (have a beef roast and deer roast curing for dried beef to be smoked/dried Sunday), but I don't think the parts will get here before next Monday.

LoneStar

Tiny Tim,
I recently built a pid and had the same issue as you concerning the connectors.  The technical name for the connector is called IEC C13 and C14.  The C14 is the plug and the C13 is the socket.  An explanation is available here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector

I solved it by adding a C13 and C14 chassis plug and socket to my project box and added another computer cord.

Tiny Tim

Thank you for the info, Lonestar...gonna go look for such items and maybe go that route.

Tiny Tim

Another question...what are the measurements of the PID Controller and the SSR...I want to start looking for a suitable "garage" for this project?

Mr Walleye

Tiny

Here is a link to Auber's SSR. Just click on the one you ordered and towards the bottom of the page is a .pdf file with the measurements on it.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=af67f2ea754514b8b11410fe9742910e

If you shoot me an email at home at [email protected] I will email you back a copy of the Auber PID manual which has the measurements in it. I will be home shortly.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

Just sent ya that e-mail a little while ago.  Wasn't online last night, but should be for the chat tonight (if there's one being held).

edit:  Thanks for the help. 

Also just got an e-mail this morning that my controller and SSR will be in the mail today.

Mr Walleye

Tiny

I'm at work again!  ::)

Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I will attach the manual in pdf format and email it back to you.

Mike

Tiny Tim

Just did it...should be there shortly. :D

Mr Walleye

Tiny Tim

Wish fe-male was as easy for me to get as e-mail....  :D

Mr Walleye